• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Advantages / Disadvantages of the two versions of DP on WHS 2011

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

With DrivePool, I haven't had issues with the license, but I do recommend deactivating it first. I've moved it around and such without deactivating with no issues, but I can tell you with Scanner, you MUST deactivate the old one first, then put the new one in place.

And if you are wondering, when I installed Drivepool on WSE 2012, it AUTOMATICALLY deactivated the WHS 2011 license. So no, you can't have one license on two machines.

(No, I wasn't trying to get around it, in my case I had forgotten to deactivate. I've retired my WHS 2011 machine, had no intent on having two installations) :)

#22 Vinn

Vinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

Ok, removed from Dashboard and deleted the Drivepool folder.  It's still saying the add-on is already installed when I tried to run the 2.x installer.

Edit:  Also restarted the server twice.

#23 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

You need to uninstall it.

#24 Vinn

Vinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

Nevermind.  Need my eyes check.  Copied over the Scanner Installer instead of the Drivepool.

#25 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

:)

#26 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

When I tried that, I did have an issue with the license so it may be worthwhile deactivating the license prior to removing the add-in (and REMEMBER what the license code is somewhere).

Yeah, we fixed that. That's ... pretty much the only change between the 2.1.1.558 version and 2.1.1.561 version, actually. We were getting a LOT of requests for license resets because of how everything was being handled. So .. the 561 version contains some code to check for the 1.X settings and validate them, to make the transition smoother.

This means that the installer... well see below.

Ok, removed from Dashboard and deleted the Drivepool folder.  It's still saying the add-on is already installed when I tried to run the 2.x installer.

Edit:  Also restarted the server twice.

Remove the installed version from teh Dashboard (if that has issues, use the control panel and then double check the dashboard.

Reboot the server, to ensure that the driver is completely removed from the system.

Install the new version.

Reboot to ensure that the background services are started after the Pool has been recreated.

Aka: uninstall, reboot, reinstal, reboot.

After doing that, you should be up and running and good to go.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#27 Umfriend

Umfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, we fixed that. That's ... pretty much the only change between the 2.1.1.558 version and 2.1.1.561 version, actually. We were getting a LOT of requests for license resets because of how everything was being handled. So .. the 561 version contains some code to check for the 1.X settings and validate them, to make the transition smoother.

In my case, I was trying to move from 2.X to 1.X without deactivating. 1.X (my bad I guess, lazy bum!) then complained about the license _and_ unduplicated everything. Went back to 2.X right thereafter and that is where I'll stay.

#28 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

In my case, I was trying to move from 2.X to 1.X without deactivating. 1.X (my bad I guess, lazy bum!) then complained about the license _and_ unduplicated everything. Went back to 2.X right thereafter and that is where I'll stay.

Ah, yeah, we don't support it "in reverse". So that would cause issues.

However, duplication info is stored on the pool, so that should never be affected (unless maybe, if you're having disk issues).

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#29 Umfriend

Umfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

You are blaming _my_ disks? REALLY? :P :D

#30 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

You are blaming _my_ disks? REALLY? :P :D

Well, a majority of the issues with the pool tend to be the underlying disks. :)

Though, it really shouldn't have unduplicated anything. As I said, the duplication info is stored on the pooled disks (as hidden NTFS metadata). That should be compatible with both versions of DrivePool. So unless there was some sort of issue with the disks... it shouldn't have happned (or some sort of very very rare issue).

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#31 billis777

billis777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:15 AM

Hello i'm new here. I upgraded to win 10 technical preview and my license doesn't work anymore. I got a message in driveppol and scanner to transfer my license, i clicked ok but it wasn't a success. I still need to activate the software and i'm using the 30 days trial right now. The funny thing is i own my license a lot less than 30 days as i bought it from day 1.

#32 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:05 AM

Hello i'm new here. I upgraded to win 10 technical preview and my license doesn't work anymore. I got a message in driveppol and scanner to transfer my license, i clicked ok but it wasn't a success. I still need to activate the software and i'm using the 30 days trial right now. The funny thing is i own my license a lot less than 30 days as i bought it from day 1.

It looks like you opened a ticket for this already, to which I have responded.

As for Windows 10.... just a heads up, we don't officially support it yet.

As for the transfer issue, if you upgraded to the newest build, this could be why it triggered the issue... or Windows 10 is doing something that is causing issues for our software.

If you continue to have issues, let us know.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#33 billis777

billis777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:35 AM

It looks like you opened a ticket for this already, to which I have responded.

As for Windows 10.... just a heads up, we don't officially support it yet.

As for the transfer issue, if you upgraded to the newest build, this could be why it triggered the issue... or Windows 10 is doing something that is causing issues for our software.

If you continue to have issues, let us know.

Thank you so much!

I got it working now and thanks to your instructions i wont have this problem ever again.

#34 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I'm glad to hear it!

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users