cpu for drivepool/scanner

Ryo

Question

hi all im rebuilding my fileserver / media server and im thinking of going intel. my main reason is I have the file server and then I have 3 laptops accessing it. will the cpu in the server make a difference on how quickly I can balance my pool and also how quickly I can run scanner? im thinking of rebuilding with a socket 1150 Celeron to start and then upgrade as I can afford.

the lsi card I found is a 8 port card that runs at pci express 3.0 (LSI00301 (9207-8i) its on sale for 233.99 on newegg and looks perfect. as for the am3 + I was trying to keep that idea so I could just continue with the phenom 2 945 and my gskill 16gb ram kit for now but it MUST be a Micro atx to fit my case. that's the problem. im probably gonna switch to intel socket 1150 because there is much more available in micro format.

how are the as rock boards I found one for 135 that I perfect with 3 pci 16 slots and its got 6 sata 6.0gb/s and it can go all the way to the xeon 1275 I want but ill build with either a Pentium or i3 to start.

the lsi card I found is a 8 port card that runs at pci express 3.0 (LSI00301 (9207-8i) its on sale for 233.99 on newegg and looks perfect. as for the am3 + I was trying to keep that idea so I could just continue with the phenom 2 945 and my gskill 16gb ram kit for now but it MUST be a Micro atx to fit my case. that's the problem. im probably gonna switch to intel socket 1150 because there is much more available in micro format.

how are the as rock boards I found one for 135 that I perfect with 3 pci 16 slots and its got 6 sata 6.0gb/s and it can go all the way to the xeon 1275 I want but ill build with either a Pentium or i3 to start.

Just FYI, you can max out PCI Express 2.0 8x by maxing out 34 HDDs (that's how many it takes to hit the max throughput of the card).

So PCI Express 3.0 8x, it would take 68 HDDs to hit that limit. 

So there really isn't need for it....

As for the ASRock boards? I have had good experience with them (after replacing the bad SSD that I had).

Though, I'm partial to SuperMicro and ASRock Rack. But I don't mind paying the premium, and use PCs for more of workstation/server stuff.

another ? when is it worth running faster ram than ddr 3 1600? example ddr 3 2400 or higher.....

Depends on what your doing. It really does. For most people DDR3 1600 is just fine.

However, if this is going to be a server, I'd recommend ECC RAM and a board that supports it.

Also is it worth tring to find WHS 2011?

It's around $200 anymore, IF you can find it. And IF you can find a reputable seller. I've seen somebody on the Home Server Show Forums that looks like they got a counterfeit.... 

Also, Server 2012R2 Essentials is $400, includes active directory and MUCH better Windows 8 backup support (I've seen a lot of cases were the UEFI/GPT patch for WHS2011 causes even more issues...)

And if you're not sure about the price, Microsoft has a 180 day (6 month) eval copy that you can download, and then "upgrade" to a Retail or OEM key.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

I donnow but if you're not using RDBMS, not crunching BOINC projects, not doing games, not doing video-editing but just streaming (and not to 4+ clients or so) then I can not imagine a i3-4360 not meeting the requirements. I had a Celeron G630 or G530 running WHS2011. It did shares, client backups, web server, rosetta@home, utorrent and streaming of video (through Serviio, not sure whether it ever had to transcode) to two devices simultaneously and never had any hickup. Really, if the i3 is not enough then you are using the Server for stuff != Server. I run a i7-3770 now but that's just cause I like to brag and run 8 Rosetta@Home threads at the same time.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+945&id=7

3757 and 1047 single thread

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4360+%40+3.70GHz&id=2244

5558 and 2172 single thread and that at less than half the TDP. I'd suspect the i3 would smoke the X4... The only area I can imagine the X4 doing better is where you have three or four concurrent single threaded heavy integer jobs. Maybe, just maybe but probably not.

also liking the I3-4370 Dual core

The Core i3 CPUs are great. While not power houses, for most "home usage", they should be fantastic.

I donnow but if you're not using RDBMS, not crunching BOINC projects, not doing games, not doing video-editing but just streaming (and not to 4+ clients or so) then I can not imagine a i3-4360 not meeting the requirements. I had a Celeron G630 or G530 running WHS2011. It did shares, client backups, web server, rosetta@home, utorrent and streaming of video (through Serviio, not sure whether it ever had to transcode) to two devices simultaneously and never had any hickup. Really, if the i3 is not enough then you are using the Server for stuff != Server. I run a i7-3770 now but that's just cause I like to brag and run 8 Rosetta@Home threads at the same time.

I run Plex and Subsonic, both of which transcode video (and audio). I also run VMs (2-3 at any given time). So the Xeon e3 I'm running is very useful. :)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+945&id=7

3757 and 1047 single thread

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4360+%40+3.70GHz&id=2244

5558 and 2172 single thread and that at less than half the TDP. I'd suspect the i3 would smoke the X4... The only area I can imagine the X4 doing better is where you have three or four concurrent single threaded heavy integer jobs. Maybe, just maybe but probably not.

CPU Benchmark is a fantastic site for comparing CPUs. 

And half the TDP means less power and less heat. Worth the money, IMO.

4 HD streams? I can not know for sure but I have no doubt it can. Can it do 4 HD streams with transcoding? I think not but I wonder whether even an i7 can do that for HD content. Mind you, most streaming, AFAIK, is simply pushing data to DLNA devices which is mostly, I would think, HDD and network I/O.

Is there a good reason to look at higher end CPUs? SURE! Cause it is fun! Take an Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630L v3 (20M Cache, 1.80 GHz) for instance, $600 bucks but you get 16 threads! Sure, they are slower cores @1.8Ghz but still get a single thread passmark score of some 1500, better than your Phenom!.

My advice:

- If money is no objection, slam an i7-4770 or similar in the server but get a MB that can do some underclocking/undervolting if you run jobs like BOINC projects.

- If money is an objection but not that much, get an i3-4330. If it turns out to really fall short of what you need (which I would think is very unlikely), sell it and get the i7. Wasted a bit of money but a lesson is learned: you can only get by with the best.

- If money is an objection, get an i3-4330 (or a fast Pentium/Celeron, but the saving is really not that big). If it turns out to really fall short of what you need (which I would think is very unlikely), then you're SOL: You simply can not afford what you need.

What are you going to do with it? I would not advise AMD APUs other than for specific situations and a server is not one of them.

I run Plex and Subsonic, both of which transcode video (and audio). I also run VMs (2-3 at any given time). So the Xeon e3 I'm running is very useful. :)

Well, Serviio can do transcoding as well but, given my devices, it typically does not have to. Are you sure your media files require transcoding?

What are you going to do with it? I would not advise AMD APUs other than for specific situations and a server is not one of them.

Well, Serviio can do transcoding as well but, given my devices, it typically does not have to. Are you sure your media files require transcoding?

I agree about the APUs. They run hot and eat a lot of power. 

The only advantage is that they may support ECC RAM out of the box.

As for transcoding... Yes. Absolutely certain.

Most of my files are MKV. Plex will stream these directly to the Home Theater systems, so that uses very little CPU. However, both the Plex website and Subsonic require transcoding to a browser compatible format.

And Plex does DLNA, IIRC (but I hate DLNA).

my wife told me I can go with intel for the extra cost so im looking at a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX and a I3-4370 and I will upgrade to a xeon 1275 V3 down the road.. this setup should last a few years

Awesome!

And that board officially supports the Xeon CPU as well. So god call.

Just make sure you take the wife out to a nice dinner, too!

have a off beat question if u guys can help... I have an Hp Envy 17 inch laptop computer with following specs

I7-4510U dual core at 2.0 ghz

16gb Samsung ram at ddr3 1600

256gb Samsung

dedicated 4gb gtx video caand finaly rd

and everytime I access music from my pool windows media player plays music but freezes until it bluscreens and resets back to standard desktop.

don't no what to do...

Hi I upgraded my server from a AMD duel core to the A10 Apu and it runs sweet no problems at all and it's a dam site quicker than the duel core I had. I don't use the complex run of software some of you use I use mini2 playon's 7 of them they play every file ever created lol in fact since I did the upgrade I don't think I have actually even logged into the server since and that's about 7 months ago it's working that well off the top of my head this all I have installed on it

Whs

Scanner

Drivepool

Lightsout

Ihomeserver

Lee

If you want I can runs some test's on the server and post some reports if people are interested

Hi I upgraded my server from a AMD duel core to the A10 Apu and it runs sweet no problems at all and it's a dam site quicker than the duel core I had. I don't use the complex run of software some of you use I use mini2 playon's 7 of them they play every file ever created lol in fact since I did the upgrade I don't think I have actually even logged into the server since and that's about 7 months ago it's working that well off the top of my head this all I have installed on it

Whs

Scanner

Drivepool

Lightsout

Ihomeserver

Lee

If you want I can runs some test's on the server and post some reports if people are interested

Ok so I logged in after I remembered the password lol also the chip is AMD A10 5800k APU

Loaded up the Asus EPU software it says the CPU watt was around 33 watts tho this did shoot up and down depending on what I did so loading program's up it went to around 66 watts then back down to around 33 watts lowest was 24 watts after about 5 mins idle. The temperature was a steady 39c went up a few degrees while under load also I went into the APC 2200 UPs and it should only a 12% load can't tell how many watts that is but that seems low that also supply's power to other stuff too

Anything you want to know I'll try find out

Lee

have a off beat question if u guys can help... I have an Hp Envy 17 inch laptop computer with following specs

I7-4510U dual core at 2.0 ghz

16gb Samsung ram at ddr3 1600

256gb Samsung

dedicated 4gb gtx video caand finaly rd

and everytime I access music from my pool windows media player plays music but freezes until it bluscreens and resets back to standard desktop.

don't no what to do...

there are a couple of things to do here...

First, run a memory test. Any time you BSOD, it's a good idea. Just in case it's faulty memory.

After that, download "WhoCrashed" from Resplended Software, or "BlueScreenViewer". Then use whichever program to look at the cause of the BSOD. That should give you an indication of what caused the issue.

Or you could email me a link of the "C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP" file and I can take a look.

Ok so I logged in after I remembered the password lol also the chip is AMD A10 5800k APU

Loaded up the Asus EPU software it says the CPU watt was around 33 watts tho this did shoot up and down depending on what I did so loading program's up it went to around 66 watts then back down to around 33 watts lowest was 24 watts after about 5 mins idle. The temperature was a steady 39c went up a few degrees while under load also I went into the APC 2200 UPs and it should only a 12% load can't tell how many watts that is but that seems low that also supply's power to other stuff too

Lee

I wish my A8 idled at that temperature.....

But I do use it more aggressively. It is usually at 25% load all the time, because of Blue Iris (IP Camera software, and CPU intensive).

Also idling at ~40C bothers me. It should be in the mid to low 30's if the CPU is idle, IMO. 

Lee

OK, I have an ASRock MB and monitor with their Extreme Tuning Utility and CPUID HWMOnitor.

It is an underclocked and undervolted i7-3770, 4 cores, 8 threads, running at 3.1Ghz (CPU voltage offset -100mV and iGPU voltage offset -50mV). It usually runs at 100% as it does Rosetta@Home. It gets to between 40 and 45 degrees Clesius depending on summer/winter. CPUID says it uses at most 31.28W....

If I suspend R@H, it nearly idles. It currently idles at 25C and CPUID says max 6.8W...

This is a prior generation but otherwise 2x i3-4370 CPU. Pretty sure it'll do even better.