SMART data not available via Areca ARC-1680ix Controller

vorpel

Question

Hello.  I have DrivePool working great on my server and am in the process of getting Scanner configured.  After the initial installation all my drives are seen by Scanner, but I'm not getting the SMART info to pass through.

Here is my setup:

3 local drives (Sata)  (SMART info is showing on each)

24 local drives connected to an Areca ARC-1680ix-24 controller with  BIOS 1.51.

38 external drives connected from 2 systems, each with an HP SAS expander connected to a 2nd local Areca ARC-1680ix-16 controller with BIOS 1.51

Both controllers are set to JBOD and both have the SMART polling currently set to 30 minutes.

When I look at any of the 62 drives connecting via the Areca controllers, they all slow "The on-disk S.M.A.R.T. check is not accessible.  Drive temperature and mechanical operating parameters are not available and will not be monitored."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dc

3 answers to this question

Unfortuantely, this is a known issue with the Areca cards.

Areca uses custom firmware that absolutely does not pass on the SMART data through the normal methods. Instead, they REQUIRE you to use their provided software and API to query for SMART data.

Because of this, StableBit Scanner is currently unable to get the SMART data from these controllers.

Alex (the developer) is aware of this issue, and has looked into the API. However...

This will require a significant change to the base code. It's not a small task, and we have a lot on our plate.

We do want to add this support, but it's not at the top of the list.

You can see the previous thread about this (for the Areca 1220 controller)

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/221-areca-arc-1220-no-smart-attributes-support/