Can't rename Pool...?

thepregnantgod

Question

Same problem, different reason now.

I transferred my 24 disks to a new mobo/Win 8.1 x64 setup.  Running latest beta of Drivepool.

Changed drive letter from D: to S: in Disk Management.

When I go to label the drive it says I need to grant administrator privs.  I hit okay, and then it says access denied.

What am I missing?

3 answers to this question

I am not exactly sure but you may need to check the properties of the drives -> Security -> Edit -> Add -> type "Owner" -> Check Names -> OK

I am not entirely sure what you may have to do next but I have had similar instances where being an administrator does not even allow you to touch files (aside from, for instance, a WHS 2011 Sever backup disk on another machine I also had this issue with SQL Server databases being restored to a different computer). I *think* this way you can get owner rights and then do what you need to do. This solved it for me as in a next step I could actually give rights on the files to users, including the administrator IIRC. Memory is a bit iffy on this and your milage may vary.

Check the permissions on the "root" folder of the pool.

Make sure that "SYSTEM" and "Administrators" have full control. That "Authenticated Users" have everything but Full control (and special), and that "Users" has read, list and execute permissions. 

If that doesn't help, then make sure the same is true for the "poolpart" folders for the pool.

Also, make sure that you have the latest (beta) version of DrivePool installed. If you do, then please enable file system logging and attempt to rename the pool again.