New server - Lian Li PC-D-8000

ascarneiro

Question

Hello,

Im a new user of Stablebit Drivepool - I come from FlexRaid, and I droped FlexRaid because the license is tied to the hardware... so when I build this new home server, my FlexRaid license cant be used on the new system - well, I dont like this because on the last 5 years I upgraded my home server a lot of times.

This change was a good step because I found Stablebit Drivepool and this amazing software give me more control over the pool.  

I use my home server for media streaming, using PlexApp.  My wireless network is 802.11ac and with this server I can stream full hd content to 4 devices at same time with no lag. Here we use PCs, Roku's and iPad as client of PlexApp.

I build this new server last week:

Case Lian Li PC-D-8000

Board ASUS Z87-A

Intel Core i5 4440 - stock fan

4Gb RAM

Power Supply Corsair CS750M

nVidia GeForce 210

WiFi PCI-E ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac 

Operating system disk Western Digital Blue 1Tb SATA 6Gb 

LG Blu-Ray Burner

6 x Corsair Air Series AF120-LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan RED  (sides)

4 x Fractal Design 120mm FANS (rear)

AsRock Sata Card 2 Ports (with this card I have 8 sata ports on server)

At this moment the server have 5 x 3Tb Western Digital Green - WD30EZRX - but I lost the trust on this model.  From the 5 HDDs, the first one arrive dead - dont pass on SMART self test. After 5 months a second hdd show problems on read data and failure on SMART self test.  Five HDDs, 2 failures in 5 months. 

Last failure was 3 days ago - and StableBit DrivePool help me alot!  I just removed the disk from pool and DrivePool evacute all data to another disk - good feature.

Next month, I will replace the greens for 8 x 4Tb Western Digital RED. Im holding this upgrade, maybe the prices drop with the new 6Tbs HDDs coming.

I dont take pictures of all hardware and inside the case - but have pictures of my system:

IMG_3428.jpg

More pictures on gallery:     http://postimg.org/gallery/1s3m38am/

Thank Stablebit for the great software!

Alvaro - Portugal

Edited by drashna
Fixed image URL

7 answers to this question

Well, I'm sorry to hear about your poor experiences with FlexRAID, and their licensing requirements. That's unfortunate.

As for your server, that's a very nice setup overall, and a nice case (I've always liked Lian Li's)

And I'm glad that you're loving StableBit DrivePool. 

If you haven't already, a feature you may want to turn on is "Network IO Boost". It's disabled by default, because it adds additional CPU overhead, but it prioritizes network traffic over local traffic. May be great for your network.

And I'm sorry to hear about the WD Green drive failures. But you should definitely be happy with those Reds.

Also, if you haven't checked it out already, you may want to look at StableBit Scanner, as well. (and you can get a discount on the purchase price if you have a license for DrivePool already).

Glad to hear it! And I really do think you'll like it.

Just don't forget to get the discount when you buy it. To do so, go to the purchase page (http://stablebit.com/Buy/Scanner) and scroll to the bottom. Input your Activation ID into the box at the bottom and hit the "Apply Activation ID" button. It will refresh the page with the discounted pricing. 

Regards

Congrats on the build, really nice setup.  

Wondering about the fans, more so what do you have for intakes or out takes, i was thinking either of 2 setups,

6x120 frontals as intakes and the 3x140 and 1x120 as outtakes on the back.

or

3x120 frontals as intake 3x140s on the back as intakes aswell, 3 frontal fans on the oposite side as outakes as well as the rear near the motherboard 120mm as outake.

Im also weak for Lian Li cases, in fact im in the process of re-building my server, WHSv1 was not enough anymore so moving on toward WHS2011 + Stablebit.  Still long ways though, 6x Noctua NF-S12A PWM and 5x Noctua NF-A14 PWM on route among other cables.  But atm formating and finishing the gross build, here is a pic of my Lian Li PC-D8000

2d4p.png

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about CFM and dB for the fans. Get whichever has the better balance between those, regardless of the size (as long as they'll fit).

And nice Noctua fans. :)

Well the case is nice but the design is not the standard, where you expect frontal fans being on the front and not the sides.... I don't know if opposed fans as intakes will work, like 3 on each side pushing against each other, and have all the 4 back fans as exits and pulling all the air to the back and exiting it.  Or will it be better to go heavy intake and make all 4 back fans as intakes and one of the frontal sides as intakes and the other side as outtake and let the positive pressure exit though there or any other holes inside the case (like the second PSU).  I guess i could give a try to both and see what works better, just wanted to see what the OP did, as this server taking forever to complete =)

Initially i didn't had plans to go with Noctua fans, not that i don't like them, just they are too expensive, was planning on scythe slipstream/kamaflex pwm fans, but they have issues with Supermicro bios PWM fan control, like they drop too low to the bios to recognize the rpms and the motherboard panics and spins them up to full rpms and then drops them down again and spins them up again, and so on... its like the computer is breathing, but very loud =(, this issue was brought up to supermicro but no fix on multiple bios.  I had a noctua NF-A14 PWM laying around and tested with notcua, and the PWM minimum of the supermicro motherboard is high enough for the bios not to panic, and it maintains them at 350rpms on idle, and ramps them depending on the conditions, under prime95 the highest i seen them go is around 800rpms, so its a nice quiet range of operation for the fans, i just gotta see how 13 fans will sound passing through the case mesh/holes, but im betting them to stay indubitable at 350rpms 99% of the time.

Also, what controllers cards are those? 

IBM M1015 Flashed to IT 9211-8i P19 firmware.  But i cant yet see temps or smart info =( , so i might need to go the unsafe info route.

Well, the fan thing would be a real problem them. :(

As for the IBM m1015, that's ... odd. I have the m1115 "cross flashed" as well, though I didn't flash the management ROM as well.... But it gets the SMART data without the Unsafe DirectIo option.

But it sounds like that may be needed, in your case.