DrivePool and Google Cloud Products

Alan

Question

Just wondering if anyone knows of issues, or has had bad experiences running Drive pool and Google Drive/Music/Picasa on a Windows 7 machine, sharing folders on the pooled drives?

I had such an installation and had many problems ranging from slow speeds, freezing on the shutdown screen and failure to boot up. No specific error messages though.

Admittedly, there could easily have been other issues going on, and I'm not specifically suggesting that the products mentioned were the cause of my problems.

Long story short, I reinstalled Drivepool on a Windows 7 box and things are running smoothly. I'm now at the point that I want to set up Google Play Music, Google Drive, and Picasa so that I can get an online sync of specific folders.

Any known issues, or anecdotal comments would be useful.

I have seen the log regarding Google Drive and DrivePool on a WHS 2011 machine but since that's a different OS, it may be unrelated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

5 answers to this question

Are the issues related to running locally on the same system? Do you expect the same issue to arise if I ran Google drive on a different system pointing to a mapped network/pooled drive?

OK, just to check my understanding:

1. If GD is installed on a non pooled system drive, sharing a non pooled directory with cloud - no problem.

2. If GD is installed on a non pooled drive, sharing a pooled directory - problem.

Right?

Although no one has said as much, there could be similar problems with Picasa and Google Play Music.

Yes.

Google Drive has issues accessing the Pooled file system.

Which is odd, because other utilities don't have the issue. So unless it's relying on some very special file system commands, or VSS....

And since Picasa and Google Play Music are both from Google, and probably use the same code, it's a good bet that they'll have issues as well. I haven't tested them personally though.