quickest way to remove drives from pool

talex

Question

Hi,

Wondering the quickest way to remove drives from a pool. I have 6 drives currently in the pool, 3 had smart warnings the drives are 1.5TB about 3/4 used. I added 2 - 2TB drives to the pool and last night and I removed one of the 1.5TB (2 to go) but the process took all night (almost 12 hours so far - it's at 97% Duplicating) just to remove a drive and re-duplicate. Duplication is set on the whole pool. Before I try it the same way again, what is the quickest way to get the 2 remaining drives removed, I also plan on adding a 3rd 2TB drive today as well.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

If your entire pool is duplicated, then the quickest way is to remove the first drive is with the Duplicate files later option. This will remove the drive but it will leave duplication process for later.

But if you remove the second drive before the background duplication pass completes, with the same option, then it may take a bit longer because some files that may not have been re-duplicated yet will have to be migrated to the pool.

Short answer: Use Duplicate files later. But it does carry some risk, if at the time of drive removal, the single copy that is still left on the pool is corrupt.

Why would there be risk? Can't you tell it just to remove the drive from the pool but leave the files on the drive to be removed in place thus actually leaving 2 copies of the file - 1 still in the pool and another copy on the drive being removed?

The way that it's implemented right now is that the quick removal process checks whether the file is on the pool by comparing the file size and the last write time of the file on the pool to the file being removed. If those match the file on the drive being removed is deleted. Obviously hashing the file on the pool would not be so quick and so that would negate the quick removal aspect.

I could easily change it to the way that you suggest, but in the past people have been very confused as to what to do with the files left behind by the removal process, so I've tried to minimize that whenever possible.

I can definitely see your point though, leave the files there, just in case.

consider it a "feature" request... for me at least that would be the best way to do it. I suppose though that in a way that is already built in, if you just physically remove the drive, it would then be "missing". If you were to then remove that "missing" drive from the pool then drivepool would re-duplicate what was needed at that point - is that correct?

consider it a "feature" request... for me at least that would be the best way to do it. I suppose though that in a way that is already built in, if you just physically remove the drive, it would then be "missing". If you were to then remove that "missing" drive from the pool then drivepool would re-duplicate what was needed at that point - is that correct?

Yep, that's another way to remove a drive and it's also a "very quick" way. BUT, you have to be absolutely sure that duplication is consistent when you do that. If you physically unplug a drive before every file on the pool is duplicated, some files on the drive that you pulled might not be on the pool. So overall, that's a more "manual" way to do it. When using "Duplicate later" you don't run that risk.