SMART info with Sharkoon 8 Bay Raid Station

PsychoDeli

Hi

I have a Sharkoon 5 Bay RAID Box and just bought a Sharkoon 8 Bay RAID Station.

Problem is, I do not get any SMART info from the RAID Station.

Scanner works just fine, detects the drives etc but it does not report any temps, age or SMART warnings/alerts.

I did install the JMicron RAID tool, which also manages to see the drives

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do?

Even with UnsafeDirectIo enabled, that may not help.

Depending on the controller/chipset that the external enclosure uses, and more importantly how the disks are passed on, the SMART data may or may not be passed on.  

If you have the option, pass them on directly, not as "large" disks or RAID arrays or anything else. It looks like the mode should be in "Clean" based on the documentation for the 8 bay. Just be warned, that changing this mode can cause "issues". Namely, any time you change the RAID mode like this you will likely wipe any data on the disks in question.  (details on pg 11, section 8.1, and pg 18, section 11.1).

Also, what are you plugging the enclosure into? USB, eSATA? onboard eSATA? eSATA on a controller card? And if so, which?

Even with UnsafeDirectIo enabled, that may not help.

Depending on the controller/chipset that the external enclosure uses, and more importantly how the disks are passed on, the SMART data may or may not be passed on.  

If you have the option, pass them on directly, not as "large" disks or RAID arrays or anything else. It looks like the mode should be in "Clean" based on the documentation for the 8 bay. Just be warned, that changing this mode can cause "issues". Namely, any time you change the RAID mode like this you will likely wipe any data on the disks in question.  (details on pg 11, section 8.1, and pg 18, section 11.1).

Also, what are you plugging the enclosure into? USB, eSATA? onboard eSATA? eSATA on a controller card? And if so, which?

The enclose is indeed set up as "Clean" or JBOD as it is more commonly known I believe. I use DrivePool to manage the space of the 6 drives I have in there at the moment.

I have the enclosures connected using USB 3.0 but I have also tried 2.0

I cannot use eSATA as the silly little HP MicroServer does not support port multiplying :(

• 2 weeks later...

If it's using USB, then it may not pass on the data properly. 
Alex has posted a nice utility which you can actually test the compatibility of the drives/enclosure.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/36-how-to-contribute-test-data/

One request though, if you test this out, would you mind posting the data? (a screen cap of the program would be fine, just PM it to me and I'll do the rest).