Adaptec 71605H no s.m.a.r.t status

SRH99

Hi there.

I dont get any smart details from drives attached to a Adaptec 71605H (HBA) controller. Drives in question is Seagate ST4000VN000-1H41 4TB ones.

Updated controller to latest firmware https://www.adaptec.com/en-us/downloads/bios_fw/bios_fw_ver/productid=asa-71605h&dn=adaptec+71605h.html

and tried changing UnsafeDirectIo to True but still no joy

Please advise.

• 1 year later...

Hi- Having Same issue with Adaptec 31205 controller - no smart info is being passed to Scanner. I downloaded the Drashna's file and copied it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\Service

Do I need to do anything else???

You'd need to restart the service or system to get it to apply.

Additionally, if you're using 2.5.2.3062 or up, then you'd need to do this:

You will need to open the StableBit Scanner UI.

Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.

Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. Find the "Direct IO" section. Check the "Unsafe" option here. 

Then, you will need to restart the service, or restart the computer. To restart the service, run "services.msc" on the system find the "StableBit Scanner Service" and restart it.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, for LSI HBAs, I've been playing with several and had similar issues...

IBM M1015 HBA flashed to LSI 9211-8i v.14...  I got SMART to work; but, only with the built-in Microsoft drivers for the LSI.  If switching to LSI's v.14 drivers, it did not work.  The reason to switch is to have HDD spindown by modifying the INF of the drivers.

IBM M1015 HBA flashed to LSI 9211-9i v.20...  Same story as the above... But, SMART now works with the LSI v.20 driver modified and installed.

LSI 9211-9i HBA @ v.16... SMART data with Microsoft Drivers, no SMART pass through with v.16 drivers.

Mixing and matching driver versions and firmware results in errors in Windows Event log (the versions don't match).

The point is, for LSI cards, flash to v.20 firmware AND use the LSI v.20 drivers and SMART passes through everything.

FYI, for LSI HBAs, I've been playing with several and had similar issues...

IBM M1015 HBA flashed to LSI 9211-8i v.14...  I got SMART to work; but, only with the built-in Microsoft drivers for the LSI.  If switching to LSI's v.14 drivers, it did not work.  The reason to switch is to have HDD spindown by modifying the INF of the drivers.

IBM M1015 HBA flashed to LSI 9211-9i v.20...  Same story as the above... But, SMART now works with the LSI v.20 driver modified and installed.

LSI 9211-9i HBA @ v.16... SMART data with Microsoft Drivers, no SMART pass through with v.16 drivers.

Mixing and matching driver versions and firmware results in errors in Windows Event log (the versions don't match).

The point is, for LSI cards, flash to v.20 firmware AND use the LSI v.20 drivers and SMART passes through everything.

Thanks. That's good to know.

And that would definitely explain why some of the cards work without the Unsafe Direct IO setting, and some don't. 

I should clarify that I am not using the Unsafe Direct IO... I am Windows Power Management to spin down my drives; and, I can access all SMART data through the LSI controllers (as long as I am on P20 firmware/driver versions).

Microsoft has an MSDN article on "IPM Configuration and Usage."  Idle Power Management (IPM) can be enabled for HBAs that do not allow Windows to power down the disks by modifying the driver's INF file to allow power management by the drivers.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff561476(v=vs.85).aspx

I have not had any luck manually adding that entry into the registry; mostly because on a clean install with a single HBA there are usually about 2 dozen entries, and not all for the single HBA I have.

So, i go the INF route.  Which, if your drivers are signed (most are these days), it requires you to force Windows into Test Signing mode in order to allow it to install Unsigned drivers (the Hash check will fail because you've modified the INF file).  From an elevated CMD prompt:

C:\> bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
C:\> Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF

That will allow you to install the Unsigned drivers with the modified INF file.

As for the Unsafe DirectIO setting, that's what I assumed, based on what you said. 

And yup, I'm definitely aware of the whole editing the drivers stuff. And yes, pretty much ALL drivers are signed, and required to be signed.  IIRC, this is a stability and security precaution.