Swapping functioning drive with larger replacement

Scott B

Question

First, thanks in advance for a really well-managed support forum - it speaks well of both the product and the community.

Didn't find this scenario in the existing content: I would like to upgrade one of my smaller pooled drives to a larger version. If I clone the existing drive (so, same label, same content, just appears a lot bigger) - will DrivePool remain blissfully unaware (and take on the new space automagically)?

It'd be done offline.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

"Well, on the smaller disk, you should be able to access all of the files in the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder in the root of the drive.

So basically, add the new disk to the pool, and copy the contents of the "smaller" disk's PoolPart folder, to the new disk's PoolPart folder (the "xxxx" part will be different on the disks).

After you've done that, everythign should show up in the pool. 

After that, physically pull the "smaller" disk from the system and then remove the missing disk from the pool

And then you'll want to "Re-measure" the pool, to make sure it identifies everything properly."

drashna

I think this is the process after doing some research on this. I have 7 x 2TB drives and want to swap a couple out for some 3TB drives  :)

Well, ideally, you'd want to add the larger disks to the pool, and the remove the smaller ones. That's the "approved" method.  And that accomplishes the above process "built in".

But it sounds like you're wanting to clone the disks to larger ones, correct? 
If so, you absolutely can do that, but you want to make sure that you DO NOT connect the source/original disks at the same time then.

Well, ideally, you'd want to add the larger disks to the pool, and the remove the smaller ones. That's the "approved" method.  And that accomplishes the above process "built in".

But it sounds like you're wanting to clone the disks to larger ones, correct? 

If so, you absolutely can do that, but you want to make sure that you DO NOT connect the source/original disks at the same time then.

I have just had a thought...I want to replace one of my 2TB disks with a bigger one but I have no spare sata connectors available on the mobo to add the larger disk first and then remove the smaller one like you suggest...

Is it safe to remove the smaller disk from the pool...shut down the server ....fit the new bigger drive reboot then add the new disk to the pool?  All goes back to normal?

Just like in WHS V1?

Yup, definitely.

And if the controller is in "AHCI" mode, you should be able to "hot swap" the disk (as in remove it without shutting down)

Great...I have copied 5TB to the pool now after rebuilding with server 2012. I have not enabled duplication yet as I have all the data backed up on various external disks and Computers.

The last 2TB is copying now. I didn't want to have duplication running while copying to the pool over the network. So I have decided to enable duplication when all the data is back on the server.

One final thing before I pull the disk...I take it if duplication is not enabled on the pool and you remove a disk...It copies the contents of the soon to be removed disk to other drives in the pool until it the drive is empty like IN WHS V1? So no data is lost?

Thanks for the answers BTW.. :)

To be honest, you should enable duplication.  At worst, the duplication is done in the background, to help prevent it from interfering with disk or network activity. 

And when you copy to the Pool, it duplicates in real time (actually, it writes to both locations simultaneously). Which would be better for what you want.

And as for removing a disk, yes basically exactly like WHSv1. It moves the contents from the disk to other disks so it remains in the pool.