What is up with Scanner?

Sonicmojo

Question

I have Scanner running on a Windows 2012R2 Server and installed this instance back in April 2016.

I believe I had configured everything correctly - but today after months of what I thought was solid service - I see this when examining the drives: (see attachment).

ScannerOldDates.png

Under Settings - I have the scanning "work" set to happen between midnight and 5:00am but it seems that I have not had the actual Start/Stop Automatically button set. 

Is this how I need to have Start/Stop Setting configured (see StartStopSettings)

StartStopSettings.png

If this is not correct - What do I need to have set to ensure that scanning happens ONLY between 12:00am and 5:00am?

Also - I saw this error appear in the error logs today for the first time - ever. Ideas?

Exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ScannerServiceLib.Info.SmartDiskInfo.#pt()
   at ScannerServiceLib.Info.SmartDiskInfo.#MS()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

Cheers,

Sonic

3 answers to this question

Check the "scanner settings".  Make sure that the work window is set up properly, and that if you are using the work window, that you have the "Unless disk scans are past due by X days" option is enabled.   And on the heat tab, that it's set to throttle, not suspend on hot disks. 

Also, grab this version and see if that fixes things:
http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3129_BETA.exe

1 hour ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Check the "scanner settings".  Make sure that the work window is set up properly, and that if you are using the work window, that you have the "Unless disk scans are past due by X days" option is enabled.   And on the heat tab, that it's set to throttle, not suspend on hot disks. 

Also, grab this version and see if that fixes things:
http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3129_BETA.exe

Chris,

Have checked and now have the Start/Stop Automatically set right.

I also have the "Unless disk scans are past due by X days" option enabled - and I assume since these disks have not been scanned for over 18 months - that is why Scanner is doing them now - outside my set "work" window (12:00am - 5:00am)?

Scanner is grinding away since I posted this morning - and it looks good.

With regards to this beta - is there anything special I need to do to install it? Do I need to shut down the existing Scanner - and if so - how?

Appreciate an update on this.

Sonic.

23 hours ago, Sonicmojo said:

Have checked and now have the Start/Stop Automatically set right.

That would cause the problem.  I know a few others have had issues with this and I think we plan to improve this in the future.

I also have the "Unless disk scans are past due by X days" option enabled - and I assume since these disks have not been scanned for over 18 months - that is why Scanner is doing them now - outside my set "work" window (12:00am - 5:00am)?

Yes.  If the disks are past due, they'll scan outside of their window. This is to ensure that scans do happen. But it is configurable, if you don't like it. 

With regards to this beta - is there anything special I need to do to install it? Do I need to shut down the existing Scanner - and if so - how?

You may need to reboot after installing it. It will let you know.   

And no, no need do shut it down. It should handle that automatically, if needed.