Drive on Google dismounting randomly

Jellepepe

Question

Hi all,

I've recently started getting a bunch of dismounts on my google clouddrive (made in prerelease) - i've done a lot of troubleshooting, and reduced the threads, speed, prefetch etc etc.

Nothing worked, im still getting seemingly random dismounts between approx 6-7pm and 10pm (CET).

I've tested this, and it seems completely unrelated from drive usage, ive not had any dismounts outside this timeframe, even with a lot of traffic, and ive had dismounts with nothing but a single file being accessed.

I have since gotten a second domain (seperate account) and made a new drive, i'm now using drivepool to copy the drive, and notify me when the old drive gets dismounted.

I have also switched the old drive to my personal api keys, to watch the api calls and possibly confirm what sort error responces im getting.

the weird thing is, there seem to be basically noneimage.thumb.png.afc952097f65e40ef070b3925ffbaf7d.png

(arrows are when it dismounted (retried mounting immediately after)

the log just states:

CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [IoManager:104] Error performing I/O operation on provider. Retrying. The read operation failed, see inner exception.    2017-11-12 18:18:21Z    24268242550
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [IoManager:104] Error processing read request. Thread was being aborted.    2017-11-12 18:18:21Z    24268568126
(different timezone)

Im starting to suspect the only possible explanation is the ports/requests just outright being blocked, and not by google.

This is weird, since its on a server hosted by ovh (250/250 guaranteed) and ive never experienced any sort of blocking + they shouldnt be.

Is there any way i can confirm/disprove this theory?

And if anyone has some other suggestions for trying to resolve the issues, Please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Pepe

19 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

"Thread was aborted" is a generic throttling response. 

I'm guessing that you're also seeing "User Rate was exceeded"? 

If so, then enable bandwidth throttling. Set the download to 50, and the upload to 25. 
Give it a day or three to see if that helps

Thank you for the reply!

I was not getting the user rate was exceeded - or any other rate/quota exceeded response codes (as visible in the api log)

what i am getting, in addition to the thread aborted issues, is:

CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [CloudDrive] Error getting write requests from driver. The system cannot find the file specified    2017-11-13 19:46:56Z    310252861197
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [CloudDrive] Error updating statistics. The system cannot find the file specified    2017-11-13 19:46:57Z    310253222849

i've since installed scanner as well, as to complete the trilogy :)

this reported file system issues on both clouddrives & the pool, but more importantly also on the cache SSD for the old drive - correcting this seemed to have been successful and the drive is mounted and working as of now (though not sure for how long)

Is it safe to simply tell stablebit scanner to correct the clouddrives also? or is this not recommended?

I REALLY REALLY hope this was the issue, and the drives will go back to functioning normally after this

Hello

This is weird. I have exactly the same problem. Google drives dismounts randomly exactly between 6-7 pm or 9-10 pm.

This behaviour occurs almost everyday. 

The only diference is that i do not have the stablebit scanner. I am going to install the trial version to check for problems on the cache drive and see i that helps.

Try to report later and if the problem persists , with more information about my system and log files.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, ntilegacy said:

Hello

This is weird. I have exactly the same problem. Google drives dismounts randomly exactly between 6-7 pm or 9-10 pm.

This behaviour occurs almost everyday. 

The only diference is that i do not have the stablebit scanner. I am going to install the trial version to check for problems on the cache drive and see i that helps.

Try to report later and if the problem persists , with more information about my system and log files.

Thanks

Good to hear im not the only one experiencing this, it is currently 7pm for me, and the drives have not dismounted (YET).

Ill report back in a few hours when the regular dismount window has fully past to see if the issue is still there.

(Through my private support ticket i was recommended to install newer beta builds; .951 - .866 & .3129 for clouddrive, drivepool and scanner respectively)

So the only things that changed was fixing filesystem, updating to beta builds, and reattaching the drives.

If you want to keep an eye on it, id recommend installing drivepool, adding the drives and setting up email alerts; that way you can see exactly when they dismount.

3 hours ago, Jellepepe said:

Good to hear im not the only one experiencing this, it is currently 7pm for me, and the drives have not dismounted (YET).

Ill report back in a few hours when the regular dismount window has fully past to see if the issue is still there.

(Through my private support ticket i was recommended to install newer beta builds; .951 - .866 & .3129 for clouddrive, drivepool and scanner respectively)

So the only things that changed was fixing filesystem, updating to beta builds, and reattaching the drives.

If you want to keep an eye on it, id recommend installing drivepool, adding the drives and setting up email alerts; that way you can see exactly when they dismount.

never mind - at exactly 19:39 (CET) both drives dismounted within 2 minutes of each other.

This cannot be due to change in usage, as the only thing accessing the drives was drivepool which was duplicating the old drive to the new one.

It had copied 450gb so far that day, so it also has nothing to do with the 750gb/day upload limit.

The new drive is running on clouddrive's own api keys.

The old drive is running on my own credentials, this is showing 24 HTTP 500 responses (backend error) at 19:08 (CET) - other than that all requests are honoured (HTTP 200)

For me this kind of concludes it has nothing to do with bad filesystems or old/new drives. as it seems to 100% be either external throttling or an issue at google.

PS; i've also been changing threads and throttle settings for up/download - while this does affect the number of api calls / sec - it doesnt have any effect on the dismounts (also not getting any 403 responses)

====

if i try to reconnect straight after, the detailed information screen shows uploads going at normal speed, but failing.

Downloads are going at max 150kbps per thread, they also seem to be failing (or too slow for clouddrive to consider valid)

the errors are:

cloud drive <name> is having trouble downloading data from Google Drive.
  Make sure that you are connected to the Internet and have sufficient bandwidth available.
  Continuing to get this error can affect the stability of your cloud drive.

Cloud drive <name> is having trouble uploading data to Google Drive.
  Error: the system cannot find the file specified
  This error has occured < keeps counting while mounted > times.
  Make sure you are connected to the Internet and have sufficient bandwidth available.
  Your data will be cached locally if this problem persists.

these appear for both drives, and they dismount again after about 1 minute (no data actually gets down or uploaded.)

If anyone has any further suggestions, i'd be extremely interested.

@Christopher (Drashna)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ntilegacy

I'm personally hosted at OVH (through soyoustart) in france - if this is a thottling issue, it would be intersting to learn if you're in a similar location.

Secondly, it would be interesting to see if the errors are occuring at exactly the same time, or only roughly the same timeframe, and if the issues are actually the same, or only mostly similar.

Hope to hear from both of you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will update a list of dismounts/remounts here:

19:39 - dismount (both drives)

~20:00 - succesful remount (both drives)

20:27 - dismount (both drives)

20:33 - successful remount (both drives)

21:02 - dismount (old drive)

21:22 - successful remount (old drive)

21:27 - dismount (both drives)

21:59 - successful remount (both drives)

22:40 - dismount (both drives)

22:54 - successful remount (both drives)

this is realy strange . it happens to me also , right now.

Drives unmount and the read/write speeds go down.... and dismount again because it says that cannot read data from provider, blah blah..... and only after i retry 2,3, 4 times it goes ok, until next day and it happens again and again. This way its impossible to use this..... well i think the software is very good indeed but something is not ok , at least with google drives....

1 hour ago, ntilegacy said:

this is realy strange . it happens to me also , right now.

Drives unmount and the read/write speeds go down.... and dismount again because it says that cannot read data from provider, blah blah..... and only after i retry 2,3, 4 times it goes ok, until next day and it happens again and again. This way its impossible to use this..... well i think the software is very good indeed but something is not ok , at least with google drives....

'good' to hear its indeed the same time (so very likely the same issue) when affecting us.

1 hour ago, ntilegacy said:

Anyway , i have a 1gb internet connection and everything is running almost at maximum speed , so is not from my provider also.

the server is running on a 1gb down/250mb up connection (250mn down guaranteed) - i dont assume its the provider itself throttling, but it might be something in between google and our servers/home connections that is causing the connection drop... 

i am unsure at this point.

EDIT:

also worth noting, since there was no other activity i can much more clearly isolate the errors im getting, in addition to the thread closed message i seem to be getting right before the drive dismounts, it spams the lg with this error for a good few minutes right before:

CloudDrive.Service.exe	Warning	0	[CloudDrive] Error getting write requests from driver. The system cannot find the file specified	2017-11-14 19:04:33Z	243712906469
CloudDrive.Service.exe	Warning	0	[CloudDrive] Error updating statistics. The system cannot find the file specified	2017-11-14 19:04:33Z	243714996761

Just now, ntilegacy said:

yep.

i have several drives (8) , only 3 disconnect.

I (and my 2 sons) use it a lot, mainly for my movies,series and music collection. But i think this problem has nothing to do with usage..... because before it start to happen my level of usage was roughly the same.

Since i wanted to be extra sure i disabled all applications aside from drivepool (which is duplicating from one drive to the other) - this means there is exactly the same load on the drives all day long (throttled).

The drives are still dismounting at seemingly the exact same times as you - i would say this 100% rules out any local system or usage related issues

I'm also having this issue, have only been using it for around 5 days now and it's been frequently happening especially when watching shows. Same errors as the ones posted above.
I have around 3TB uploaded and using Plex with minimal library scanning. Even turned off a few features such as thumbnails etc.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:40 PM, Jellepepe said:

Hi all,

I've recently started getting a bunch of dismounts on my google clouddrive (made in prerelease) - i've done a lot of troubleshooting, and reduced the threads, speed, prefetch etc etc.

Nothing worked, im still getting seemingly random dismounts between approx 6-7pm and 10pm (CET).

I've tested this, and it seems completely unrelated from drive usage, ive not had any dismounts outside this timeframe, even with a lot of traffic, and ive had dismounts with nothing but a single file being accessed.

I have since gotten a second domain (seperate account) and made a new drive, i'm now using drivepool to copy the drive, and notify me when the old drive gets dismounted.

I have also switched the old drive to my personal api keys, to watch the api calls and possibly confirm what sort error responces im getting.

the weird thing is, there seem to be basically noneimage.thumb.png.afc952097f65e40ef070b3925ffbaf7d.png

(arrows are when it dismounted (retried mounting immediately after)

the log just states:

CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [IoManager:104] Error performing I/O operation on provider. Retrying. The read operation failed, see inner exception.    2017-11-12 18:18:21Z    24268242550
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [IoManager:104] Error processing read request. Thread was being aborted.    2017-11-12 18:18:21Z    24268568126
(different timezone)

Im starting to suspect the only possible explanation is the ports/requests just outright being blocked, and not by google.

This is weird, since its on a server hosted by ovh (250/250 guaranteed) and ive never experienced any sort of blocking + they shouldnt be.

Is there any way i can confirm/disprove this theory?

And if anyone has some other suggestions for trying to resolve the issues, Please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Pepe

How do I go around getting a chart like that? I've looked into the reports from the admin portal but couldn't find any traffic logs, trying to see if any errors have flagged up.

15 minutes ago, Evo said:

I'm also having this issue, have only been using it for around 5 days now and it's been frequently happening especially when watching shows. Same errors as the ones posted above.
I have around 3TB uploaded and using Plex with minimal library scanning. Even turned off a few features such as thumbnails etc.

If your issue is actually the same as we are experiencing (same time-based stuff) we've already ruled out that usage is part of it, or atleast our usage, it could ofcourse be related to the total drive network usage, but that is yet to be determined.

outside the 'dismount' time window i can max out my connection at over 300mbps down and 250mbps up with around 20 threads without issue, at the same time with even a single thread at low speed the drive dismounts, so i doubt disabling these features and/or trying to reduce api calls will resolve the issue (as it didnt for me).

PS. i am also using plex, and when there are no issues (been using clouddrive for Quite a while) its actually Great! - the only cloud mounting software that can reliably allow for library scans etc. + if you have a decent cache size and/or fast download speeds, it can easily handle a lot of streams.

15 minutes ago, Evo said:

How do I go around getting a chart like that? I've looked into the reports from the admin portal but couldn't find any traffic logs, trying to see if any errors have flagged up.

you would have to create your own api keys

Go here: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/library/drive.googleapis.com/

Create a project and enable the drive API for it.

Then generate OAuth keys - these should consist of a client ID and Secret

then edit the 'providersettings.json' under C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive and fill out the client ID & secret under google drive.

When you reauthorize your drive, it should no longer display clouddrive(number) but the name you gave your project.

You can now go to the drive api overview for your project and see the chart for all requests coming in. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since i ruled out the api calls being part of the issue, my graph now looks a lot clearer, i dont really need to point out when the dismounts occur.

image.thumb.png.55f36c6e0a4d4dc353f6e79c19f26add.png

Needless to say - when comparing the dismount times as i laid out in my previous (updated) post, its clear to see it has nothing to do with the api calls, as they are simply not going through when this happens (instead of 403 responses which you would get when a quota or rate limit is reached)

8 minutes ago, Jellepepe said:

If your issue is actually the same as we are experiencing (same time-based stuff) we've already ruled out that usage is part of it, or atleast our usage, it could ofcourse be related to the total drive network usage, but that is yet to be determined.

outside the 'dismount' time window i can max out my connection at over 300mbps down and 250mbps up with around 20 threads without issue, at the same time with even a single thread at low speed the drive dismounts, so i doubt disabling these features and/or trying to reduce api calls will resolve the issue (as it didnt for me).

PS. i am also using plex, and when there are no issues (been using clouddrive for Quite a while) its actually Great! - the only cloud mounting software that can reliably allow for library scans etc. + if you have a decent cache size and/or fast download speeds, it can easily handle a lot of streams.

you would have to create your own api keys

Go here: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/library/drive.googleapis.com/

Create a project and enable the drive API for it.

Then generate OAuth keys - these should consist of a client ID and Secret

then edit the 'providersettings.json' under C:\ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive and fill out the client ID & secret under google drive.

When you reauthorize your drive, it should no longer display clouddrive(number) but the name you gave your project.

You can now go to the drive api overview for your project and see the chart for all requests coming in. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since i ruled out the api calls being part of the issue, my graph now looks a lot clearer, i dont really need to point out when the dismounts occur.

image.thumb.png.55f36c6e0a4d4dc353f6e79c19f26add.png

Needless to say - when comparing the dismount times as i laid out in my previous (updated) post, its clear to see it has nothing to do with the api calls, as they are simply not going through when this happens (instead of 403 responses which you would get when a quota or rate limit is reached)

Thanks for the explanation I'll set it up tomorrow just to be sure! To help with investigating it I'll start noting down the errors that pop up, what time it happens and what I'm doing at the time in case it helps with looking into the issue or checking to see if it's even related.

Sorry to be a pain but as you've been using it a while I figured it's best to ask, what settings do you have for your drive and Plex itself? Just trying to make sure it's optimally setup. I'm using Online.net with very high bandwidth, been using the two 4TB drives that came with it and haven't ever had a single so I know the host isn't an issue (or so I really hope) but still think it's probably best to use the same settings as someone who's had good experience.

Just now, Evo said:

Thanks for the walkthrough I'll set it up tomorrow just to be sure! To help with investigating it I'll start noting down the errors that pop up, what time it happens and what I'm doing at the time in case it helps with looking into the issue or checking to see if it's even related.

it would be nice to compare times in particular, since it seems to be time related.

1 minute ago, Evo said:

Sorry to be a pain but as you've been using it a while I figured it's best to ask, what settings do you have for your drive and Plex itself? Just trying to make sure it's optimally setup. I'm using Online.net with very high bandwidth, been using the two 4TB drives that came with it and haven't ever had a single so I know the host isn't an issue (or so I really hope) but still think it's probably best to use the same settings as someone who's had good experience.

The plex settings depend on how new content is added (do you use sonarr/radarr etc?).

For clouddrive, (since i figured out its unrelated to the api calls), ive set it to the following:

download threads 10 w/ no throttle - upload threads 5 w/ 175mbps throttle (due to plex streams) - background I/O checked.

Minimum download size 10mb - prefetch trigger 1mb - prefetch forward 100mb - prefetch window 30sec

Cache chunks are 100mb, drive chunks are 20mb (size 100TB)

upload verification and pinning are all enabled

cache is 90gb expandable on a 120gb SSD (dedicated to just this drive), but if you;re using HDD's with a lot more storage, increasing this will increase performance for everything thats cached, just dont fill it completely, as windows will complain.

2 minutes ago, Jellepepe said:

it would be nice to compare times in particular, since it seems to be time related.

The plex settings depend on how new content is added (do you use sonarr/radarr etc?).

For clouddrive, (since i figured out its unrelated to the api calls), ive set it to the following:

download threads 10 w/ no throttle - upload threads 5 w/ 175mbps throttle (due to plex streams) - background I/O checked.

Minimum download size 10mb - prefetch trigger 1mb - prefetch forward 100mb - prefetch window 30sec

Cache chunks are 100mb, drive chunks are 20mb (size 100TB)

upload verification and pinning are all enabled

cache is 90gb expandable on a 120gb SSD (dedicated to just this drive), but if you;re using HDD's with a lot more storage, increasing this will increase performance for everything thats cached, just dont fill it completely, as windows will complain.

Perfect just what I was after! Appreciate you taking the time for a response. I use both Sonarr and Radarr with usually around 30GB of content per day (1080p), hence the dire need to switch to cloud hosting!
Unfortunately when I first setup the drive I used the default settings along with enabling encryption so the chunks are extremely different to what you use (10mb drive and 20mb cache). As these settings cannot be changed do you think it's worth wiping the drive and starting over with a new? Also are you currently using encryption for your drive, if not are you not worried some content might get 'flagged'?

3 minutes ago, Evo said:

Perfect just what I was after! Appreciate you taking the time for a response. I use both Sonarr and Radarr with usually around 30GB of content per day (1080p), hence the dire need to switch to cloud hosting!

In that case you can set up a connection between radarr/sonarr and the plex server, allowing it to tell the server when new content is added, making full library refreshes unneccessary

to do this - (sonarr and radarr is both the same) go to settings->connect & add plex media server

then fill out the login, ip, port and give it a name. Enable on download, on upgrade & on rename, and also enable update library.

This will make radarr/sonarr notify the server of new files, making library scans unneccesary

Next, in plex under settings->server->library enable advanced settings and disable all library scanning (assuming you dont have any other libraries that require this)

Then just manually run a library refresh every week or so just in case it missed anything due to outages etc. (recommended to temporarily disable  prefetch or increase the trigger size and watch drive usage with this, its more likely to crash on this, though if pinning metadata & directories are both enabled this shouldn't be too much of an issue)

1 minute ago, Evo said:

Unfortunately when I first setup the drive I used the default settings along with enabling encryption so the chunks are extremely different to what you use (10mb drive and 20mb cache). As these settings cannot be changed do you think it's worth wiping the drive and starting over with a new? Also are you currently using encryption for your drive, if not are you not worried some content might get 'flagged'?

I forgot to mention that yes, i am using encryption with the drive - as long as you;re not storing small files, and your bandwidth allows for it, recreating the drive with larger chunks will increase performance, though it will probably still function fine with 10mb chunks. Cache chunk size can be changed by simply detaching and reattaching the drive.

After the remount yesterday at 22:54 the drives remained mounted and fully functional at 200mbps+

The issues started again though today;

19:08 - dismount

19:31 - remount (i was in transit so it possibly started working again earlier, this is when i remounted though)

19:53 - dismount (only the old drive)

19:56 - remount

20:49 - dismount

20:55 - remount

Hi Jellepepe

For me its working ok, till now.......  let see what happen.....

The only thing that change on my side was the fact that today morning I update my server 2016 to the latest available updates........ I used to have a lot of errors on server related to the Wsearch service, and since the later update no errors at all (Do not know if has anything to do with the errors on cloudrive).

The errors i used to have:

The following service has repeatedly stopped responding to service control requests: Windows Search, and

A timeout (60000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service.

22 hours ago, Jellepepe said:

In that case you can set up a connection between radarr/sonarr and the plex server, allowing it to tell the server when new content is added, making full library refreshes unneccessary

to do this - (sonarr and radarr is both the same) go to settings->connect & add plex media server

then fill out the login, ip, port and give it a name. Enable on download, on upgrade & on rename, and also enable update library.

This will make radarr/sonarr notify the server of new files, making library scans unneccesary

Next, in plex under settings->server->library enable advanced settings and disable all library scanning (assuming you dont have any other libraries that require this)

Then just manually run a library refresh every week or so just in case it missed anything due to outages etc. (recommended to temporarily disable  prefetch or increase the trigger size and watch drive usage with this, its more likely to crash on this, though if pinning metadata & directories are both enabled this shouldn't be too much of an issue)

I forgot to mention that yes, i am using encryption with the drive - as long as you;re not storing small files, and your bandwidth allows for it, recreating the drive with larger chunks will increase performance, though it will probably still function fine with 10mb chunks. Cache chunk size can be changed by simply detaching and reattaching the drive.

Thanks for the tips, I applied them all this morning!

Also had a dismount at 8:17, was functioning fine all day without any issues.

t7IaaG.png

Atpmqn.png

14 minutes ago, ntilegacy said:

Hi Jellepepe

For me its working ok, till now.......  let see what happen.....

Interesting, i did notice the drives were able reconnect much quicker this time (only a few minutes)

so depending on your usage during this time, it might not have disconnected since it wasnt active.

(clouddrive only disconnects when it tries downloading data and fails, so if theres no activity on the drive it wont disconnect)

16 minutes ago, ntilegacy said:

The only thing that change on my side was the fact that today morning I update my server 2016 to the latest available updates........ I used to have a lot of errors on server related to the Wsearch service, and since the later update no errors at all (Do not know if has anything to do with the errors on cloudrive).

The errors i used to have:

The following service has repeatedly stopped responding to service control requests: Windows Search, and

A timeout (60000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service.

I'm running server 2012 R2 myself, and havent had any issues aside from coulddrive, so im not sure if this is related, but worth making a note of!

12 minutes ago, Evo said:

Thanks for the tips, I applied them all this morning!

Great to hear, would love to hear back on your setup and if you run into anything feel free to ask, also if you want drop me a private message for discord or whatever if you want some more tips, will try to keep this topic focused on the dismounting issues.

7 minutes ago, Evo said:

Also had a dismount at 8:17, was functioning fine all day without any issues.

Again, since you seemingly didn't remount the drive (or there was no activity) during the rest of the 'trouble zone' its hard to tell if its the exact same issues, but it does seem very suspect its always this general 7-10pm timeframe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My drives have been on a pretty high load due to drivepool duplicating all the time, so my graph very clearly shows when the connection drops(?)

Its an interesting trend to see the issue is much less apparent as it was yesterday & the day before hopefully this continues and the issue is completely gone by the end of the week :P

2 minutes ago, Evo said:

Just received an email from Google.

nuhj7D.png

Thats really interesting!! I have not received this email on either Gsuite domains nor the backup email adresses, internally i think Drive and Docs are not the same, but this might be related nontheless. 

Assuming i dont get the email myself, please do give updates on whatever they announce!