New build and compatibility with Backblaze?

Neriya

Question

Hiya! I've been eyeballing DrivePool for a while now, and it's time to upgrade my storage machine so if I'm going to pull the trigger, it's going to be here shortly.

Right now, I have a traditional RAID 6 array of 8x 3TB drives on a hardware controller (3ware 9690SA), running on Windows 10.

In the near future, I plan on replacing those 3TB drives with 8TB Seagate Archive drives. Also installed in the system is a pair of 250 GB SSDs; I currently boot from one of them, and the other holds some VMware VMs for use under VMWare Workstation. PLEX is also installed on the C: drive (one of the SSDs).

The RAID 6 array largely holds media - TV and Movies - but also contains a backup of the user profiles from all the rest of the PCs in my house, as well as some VMware VMs. This system also runs Backblaze for internet backups, but the only folder on the RAID array that gets backed up via Backblaze is the user profiles folder.

So, after all that detail, here's my question- anyone see any problems or potential pitfalls with use of DrivePool in this scenario - primarily (obviously) to replace the RAID 6 array? I'm particularly concerned with the storage of VMware VMs and Backblaze having some kind of negative interaction with residing on the Pool drive.

Also, with regards to the SSD Optimizer, can I dedicate a portion of one of my 250 GB SSDs to the optimizer or does it take over the whole disk? In other words, I'd like to continue booting from one of the SSDs, but I'd be happy to give up 50-100 GB of space from it for the optimizer process, just not the whole drive.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Well, the BackBlaze B2 (S3 type service) is on our to-do list for StableBit CloudDrive, actually. 

As for using the desktop client, as long as it's not a server OS, I believe you should be okay. I've tested it in the past, and it worked fine. 

But try out the trial, and verify, if you want.  

8 hours ago, Neriya said:

Also, with regards to the SSD Optimizer, can I dedicate a portion of one of my 250 GB SSDs to the optimizer or does it take over the whole disk? In other words, I'd like to continue booting from one of the SSDs, but I'd be happy to give up 50-100 GB of space from it for the optimizer process, just not the whole drive.

"Yes".  DrivePool uses the drives, but doesn't take over the drives, so you can use them for both. 

Just remember that anything not in the pool is considered "other" data and counts against what the software can use.