Need to tear down and rebuild my server and need advice

Merwinsson

Question

Hello,

I've been using StableBit DrivePool for a few years now and have been very happy with it.  My pool consists of 6 6 TB disks, for a total of 36 TB, 18 TB usable due to duplication.  I use said pool to store my ever growing media collection which is now filling the pool to near capacity - its free space has just crossed below the 1 TB mark.   As I've occupied ALL the SATA ports available to me, I've decided to tear things down and rebuild a different way using two eSATA cards each with 2 ports, and then connect those 4 external eSATA ports to 4 external drive enclosures, each enclosure having 5 bays and one eSATA port that supports port multiplication.  This solves my SATA port issue AND my issue with having no more space left in the case for hard drives, giving me room for another 14 drives of expansion before I have to worry about expansion again (hopefully never).

Now, the existing near 17+ TB of storage I have is VERY precious to me, so I don't want to screw this up.

Here is my plan, please let me know if this will work.

1. De-install DrivePool completely and shut down.

2. Remove the 6 disks from the case, seat them in 2 of the enclosures, then power up and attach the enclosures to my eSATA ports.

3. Power up and re-install DrivePool (giving me a chance to use version 2.2.0.852 in the process).

4. ... What happens next?  Will DrivePool see the old disks and recreate the pool automatically?  Will I have to manually create a pool and add the disks back?

I don't want to do the wrong thing and cause myself hours of headaches, or worse, lose this data.

5. After the pool gets recreated, however that happens, add a couple of 10 TB disks and throw a party.

Thanks,

Scott

3 answers to this question

Well, I DO want to mess with the software I think because:

1. I want the newer version of DrivePool

and more importantly

2. I don't want the virtual drive to be drive #7 anymore

If you can tell me how to make the virtual drive any # (as seen in disk management) I want that would be better.