Nested pool mounting late during Windows startup procedure causing programs that rely on pool to freak out

Arman

Question

Hello Drashna,

First some backstory and context. I have 4 physical hard drives connected to my onboard SATA ports 1 through 4 (excluding my SSD which is my OS drive on SATA port 0) called:

• Data 1
  • Data 2
  • Data 3
  • Data 4

These 4 drives are then pooled as such:

• Data Original (which is comprised of Data 1 and Data 2 drives)
  • Data Duplicated (which is comprised of Data 3 and Data 4 drives)

These 2 pools are then further pooled and mounted as my D: drive (this pool is called "Data"). The reason for this structure is because I wanted to control which drives are used for original files and which drives are used in the duplication process so that my backup software doesn't backup the duplicated files because I can specify which volumes to be backed up (I use Veeam Endpoint Backup - now called Veeam Agent for Windows).

Moving on, I also have another 3 drives connected via USB which are pooled and mounted as my E: drive (this pool is called "Backup").

In total I have 3 volumes mounted and showing up in Windows - OS (C:), Data (D:), and Backup (E:).

Now during the normal Windows startup, my OS and Backup volumes mount instantly, however my Data volume takes around 45 seconds to mount. This causes some issues with programs that rely on that drive to have been mounted during startup. I have notices that the Drivepool service takes the same amount of time as my Data volume being mounted to startup.

My question is, what can I do to mount Data as instantly as Backup (which is also a pool) so that programs don't get unhappy when they cannot find paths located on Data? Is there a way to instantly start the service on Windows boot but before Windows login?

I have attached my Boot time log if that helps.

Some more info about my system:

• My system is running Windows 10 Pro Creators Update with the latest updates installed.
  • I recently reinstalled Windows and all of my programs due to significant hardware changes.
  • Stablebit Drivepool is on version 2.2.0.877 Beta.
  • I also have Stablebit Scanner version 2.5.2.3129 Beta installed.
  • I do not have CloudDrive installed.
  • My SATA ports are using the Intel chipset.

Hopefully that's enough info to help out. Thanks in advance!

DrivePool.CoveFs.etl

DrivePool.CoveFsDisk.etl

14 answers to this question

Well, we recently added some code that "messes" with the startup process, and that is likely what you are seeing. 

Thank you for getting the logs, as well!

Though, if you could, please run the StableBit Troubleshooter, as well.
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter
(use 3254 as the contact ID)

Yes.  

And without knowing why its doing this, there isn't a lot that can be done.  

Checking the event log, I'm seeing a few issues.  Namely VDS stuff that may indicate an issue. 
It may be worth checking the drives for errors, and stress testing the connection (or swapping out SATA cables. 

Hmm, I don't see any errors in Scanner nor do I see any SMART problems on any of the drives in the pool.

Also, burst testing using Scanner seems to saturate my ports to its max of around 500MB/s on average. There shouldn't be any problems with the SATA controller or cables as I had this issue with my previous motherboard as well (cables were different).

Any indication as to what these VDS errors are so maybe I can isolate the cause?

Hey, so I just installed the new update that you linked to and zipped up the new logs. I used the Dropbox link in the wiki to submit the logs because they were 10MB and couldn't be attached to the post. Let me know if you got them. Cheers!