Newbie question, marking a subset of drives for redundant data only?

madsci1016

Question

I have a newbie question that I'm failing to find through search. 

I have 8 drives in my pool. 2 of which I have low confidence in remaining lifetime. The other 6 I have high confidence in. 

Other than setting my redundant folders to "store on " 3 drives instead of 2, is there a way to set the balancer to only store redundant data on my 2 low confidence drives? And not redundant data for each other. IE, use the 2 drives to only store redundant data from the other 6 drives and not from each other?  

4 answers to this question

Yes, actually.

"Pool Options" -> "Balancing..."

Open up the "Balancers" tab, and click on the "Drive Usage Limiter". 

For the "low confidence" drives, uncheck "unduplicated" data on the drives.  this will only store duplicated data on these drives, so that if one of them fails, you should be fine.

Yes, actually.

"Pool Options" -> "Balancing..."

Open up the "Balancers" tab, and click on the "Drive Usage Limiter". 

For the "low confidence" drives, uncheck "unduplicated" data on the drives.  this will only store duplicated data on these drives, so that if one of them fails, you should be fine.

I guess I didn't explain myself well. All my folders are set to be duplicated on two drives (duplication set to 1). What I'm trying to prevent is data getting stored on one of the low confidence drives and duplicated on the other one. IE, at least one copy of all data reside on the 6 high confidence drives so if both low confidence drives fail at the same time nothing is lost. 

I understand I could set all folder to duplicate to 3 drives, but that comes at the cost of eating up space. Trying to see if there's a more efficient way to balance the duplication. 

There isn't a great way to do this, unfortunately.

The simplest way would be to make sure your on a beta version, remove these drives from the pool, create a new pool with just these drives, and then add the that pool to the original pool. 

WOAH  Poll inception! You can do that? Or I guess only the beta can do that? Interesting might try that.