Removing multiple drives from pool

nstuck

Question

I'm doing some shuffling of hard drives between two systems, and want to remove two drives from my main file server. So I clicked "Remove" on the two drives I want to remove from DrivePool, and wait.

I noticed that the data from the first disk removed (Disk 3) was balanced between the remaining two in the pool (including the one that was queued for removal). So half the data from Disk 3 was moved to Disk 2, then after Disk 3 was finished the removal process, the "extra" data had to be moved from Disk 2 to Disk 1, along with the original data that was contained on Disk 2. This resulted in ~500 GB being moved twice, and a significant amount of extra time added to the removal process.

I did play around with some of the balancing settings, specifically with the Disk Space Equalizer and Drive Usage Limiter (tried unchecking Disk 2 to force files to be placed on Disk 1, but Disk 2 continued to be filled up.

I'm not sure if this is an bug, or I just don't know how to use the balancers properly? My pool is fine now, but I'm curious if I were to ever try this again, is there something I can do differently?

1 answer to this question

What version are you using? 

Because we recently overhauled the removal process, so this shouldn't be happening as much in the latest betas.. 

Also, if you changed the balancing settings ***after*** starting the removal, it wouldn't have "fixed" the issue.  You'd need to do so before, or stop the process.