Pool going Read Only on Bios change - NO Notification

Spider99

Question

I updated my Bios and this caused DP to go into read only mode - But i had no indication of this - i.e. no pop up or anything

I found out as i could not create any files on my pool and windows was complaining about permissions not being in the correct order when accessing the properties > security tab for a folder.

Fortunately i did not change any of the permissions prior to the penny dropping that DP might be the problem - as that would have generated a mess for no reason.

On accessing the GUI - i was asked to transfer the licence (or something like that) - clicking the option provided brought up the license number and applying the change brought the pool out of read only mode.

Now i accept this is probably a security check for people cloning drives and trying to bypass you protections but the why you do not inform the user this has happened is poor.

A simple notification of some sort to the user to go check this or that should be added to save wasting time and causing confusion etc and the possible consequences of trying to reset permission when not needed!

Please improve the notification of this situation.

3 answers to this question

Sorry about that! 

Yeah, updating the BIOS/Firmware will do this.  Specifically, the changed date will trigger a licensing warning, and require you to 'transfer" the license (to the "new" hardware). 

This should present with a system tray notification, IIRC.  But ... that may not be aggressive enough. 

Let me flag this for Alex, so we can be much more annoying/persistent/visible when this happens. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27656