Very very high RAM usage in DrivePool

radikai

Question

DrivePool's footprint ranged from 2-5GB before I added all of the pool's drives to NOD32 anti virus's exclude list.  At least I'm pretty sure that's what fixed it.

Attached is a poolmon screenshot showing a few pools owned by covefs.sys (I think...please correct me if I'm wrong) at or near the top of the list, totaling over 4GB.

I wish I didn't have to disable antivirus for those drives, so would love any information from the developers about the cause of this problem or any other way I can mitigate it.

Thanks,

James

post-7034-0-17332900-1507411481_thumb.png

3 answers to this question

Are you using ReFS? 

Also, this is likely because NOD32 is reading each file access twice (or more).

By default, we have a "bypass file system filters" option that is enabled.  

If it's disabled, then it can cause issues.  Or in the case of some AV solutions, it has an issue if this setting is enabled. 

Excluding the drives would have bypassed this issue. 

Try removing the exclusion, and toggling this setting.  It may help. 

Nope it's NTFS.  

"Bypass file system filters" is enabled.  I'll try to reproduce the problem after disabling it.

That aside, i'm just curious - what does the large memory cost in DrivePool come from in these pathological cases with AV scanners?

I figured as much.

As for the high memory usage, mostly file system filters. These are used for all sorts of things, but mostly for antivirus. In fact, the "real time protection" generally comes about as these file system filters.

They intercept and read all of the requests to the file system, and can modify them (such as blocking/denying them).  

And in some cases, they can cause some really odd behavior.  We've had some issues like this in the past. Toggling the bypass setting usually helps.

However, if this doesn't help, then please do get a memory dump from the system, as this should tell us what was going on, exactly. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

But this does cause a BSOD to occur (it triggers it, actually, as that's how we get the memory dump).