How often do you blow out your server case.

PossumsDad

Question

Hey everybody,

I have a Norco 4u 16 bay sas case. I was wondering how often you need to open it up and blow out the dust from the fans and hard drives. I just got this case last February and was wondering. I haven't cleaned mine so it might be dirty dirty.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil

7 answers to this question

Yes, definitely turn it off first.  

As for fans, I never use compressed air for the fans, That's a great way to break them.  Use a dust cloth for those, and manually wipe them down.

As for the motherboard, use a static free (or anti-static) towel to wipe down the parts that seem to want to stick. 

The Best method I have found is a leaf blower attached to a flexable hose.  With the Computer off, I attach a vacumn cleaner sucking the dust to the front of the case.  I start from the back and move forward.  As is said.   Dust goes in places you don't want.

DVD Drive Blu Ray etc.

Try to keep the spray to a minimum and take your time.

Be extra careful when blowing out the power supply.  No moisture and make sure it is clear of all dust before restarting.  Burned up a good power supply being in a hurry.