Beta 844-The background service failed to start

Wonko

Question

I just updated to beta 844 after receiving the upgrade notification. I have restarted twice, and I am getting the background service failed to start message in the Dashboard. I will use the Stablebit Troubleshooter and then try resetting the settings as you advised the user reporting the same problem with the 822 beta. 

7 answers to this question

After following the settings reset procedure, DrivePool is Measuring like I expect after an upgrade. So, hopefully the issue is fixed. I did upload everything using the Stablebit Troubleshooter before I stopped the DrivePool service. Perhaps that will assist with identifying the underlying issue.

I am borrowing this from the Beta 822 thread since it worked for me:

Try resetting the settings.

http://wiki.covecube...ePool_Q2299585B

I did not reboot, but just restarted the DrivePool service after deleting the directories mentioned, and that fixed it.

If you want to provide StableBit with diagnostic information before resetting the settings, run the StableBit Troubleshooter first:

http://wiki.covecube..._Troubleshooter

Christopher,

I did run the Troubleshooter before resetting the settings, so hopefully you can find its upload and see what is causing the settings to require reset after the update.

Also, I initially did not reboot after resetting the settings (just restarted the DrivePool service). Although DrivePool seemed to be functionally normally, I had an issue where every time LightsOut hibernated the server after 30 minutes of no activity, the server immediately woke up again. I am far from certain DrivePool had anything to do with this since the September MS patches were also installed a couple of hours before I updated DrivePool.

I subsequently ensured DrivePool finished measuring my pool, and then I rebooted the server. It appears the reboot has stopped the waking up problem, so if anyone is having the same experience after updating DrivePool, I would start with a reboot after letting measuring complete before trying anything else.

Well, Alex was actually able to reproduce the issue, and the 848 build should fix this, for the future.

As for waking up, you can run "powercfg -lastwake" to see what woke up the computer. And "powercfg -requests" to see what is keeping it awake. 

It's a fantastic tool/trick for diagnosing sleep/wake issues.