• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Beta 844-The background service failed to start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wonko

Wonko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:45 AM

I just updated to beta 844 after receiving the upgrade notification. I have restarted twice, and I am getting the background service failed to start message in the Dashboard. I will use the Stablebit Troubleshooter and then try resetting the settings as you advised the user reporting the same problem with the 822 beta. 

#2 Wonko

Wonko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

After following the settings reset procedure, DrivePool is Measuring like I expect after an upgrade. So, hopefully the issue is fixed. I did upload everything using the Stablebit Troubleshooter before I stopped the DrivePool service. Perhaps that will assist with identifying the underlying issue.

#3 TomTiddler

TomTiddler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

I too am seeing this issue. Could someone please repeat the advice on how to fix it?

#4 Wonko

Wonko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I am borrowing this from the Beta 822 thread since it worked for me:

Try resetting the settings.

http://wiki.covecube...ePool_Q2299585B

I did not reboot, but just restarted the DrivePool service after deleting the directories mentioned, and that fixed it.

If you want to provide StableBit with diagnostic information before resetting the settings, run the StableBit Troubleshooter first:

http://wiki.covecube..._Troubleshooter

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#5 TomTiddler

TomTiddler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Thanx Wonko, did the reset, everything's working. Love this product!

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#6 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

We apologize for the issue! 

If you have run the Troubleshooter (we highly recommend doing so, BEFORE resetting the settings), let us know.  The data collected by it should help us to identify the cause and fix it.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#7 Wonko

Wonko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Christopher,

I did run the Troubleshooter before resetting the settings, so hopefully you can find its upload and see what is causing the settings to require reset after the update.

Also, I initially did not reboot after resetting the settings (just restarted the DrivePool service). Although DrivePool seemed to be functionally normally, I had an issue where every time LightsOut hibernated the server after 30 minutes of no activity, the server immediately woke up again. I am far from certain DrivePool had anything to do with this since the September MS patches were also installed a couple of hours before I updated DrivePool.

I subsequently ensured DrivePool finished measuring my pool, and then I rebooted the server. It appears the reboot has stopped the waking up problem, so if anyone is having the same experience after updating DrivePool, I would start with a reboot after letting measuring complete before trying anything else.

#8 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Well, Alex was actually able to reproduce the issue, and the 848 build should fix this, for the future.

As for waking up, you can run "powercfg -lastwake" to see what woke up the computer. And "powercfg -requests" to see what is keeping it awake. 

It's a fantastic tool/trick for diagnosing sleep/wake issues. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users