Scanner Generating HUNDREDS of Emails!!

Dizzy

Question

I have two old drives that gave me the parked error a long time ago, but I haven't received emails from them in a long time.  This weekend, I started receivding HUNDREDS of emails.

StableBit Scanner S.M.A.R.T. Warning on "MUSTANGP51D". One or more disks are suspect:
  • ATA WDC WD30EZRX-00M SCSI Disk Device - 1 warnings
    • Bay: 01
    • The head of this hard drive has parked 569,039 times. After 300,000 parking cycles the drive may be in danger of developing problems. Drives normally park their head when they are powered down and activate their head when they are powered back up. Excessive head parking can be caused by overzealous power management settings either in the Operating System or in the hard drive's firmware.
  • ATA WDC WD30EZRX-00M SCSI Disk Device - 1 warnings
    • Bay: 01
    • The head of this hard drive has parked 533,940 times. After 300,000 parking cycles the drive may be in danger of developing problems. Drives normally park their head when they are powered down and activate their head when they are powered back up. Excessive head parking can be caused by overzealous power management settings either in the Operating System or in the hard drive's firmware.

In addition to that email, I get two other emails.  One Warning email for each of the two drives indivudually.  Then I get the email below that says that a disk is going to fail within 24 hours.  The one below is a SSD that Scanner reports as Healthy, has no SMART warnings, or any other indicators that there is any kind of issue with the drive.  I also receive similar emails but with the two WD drives noted above.

StableBit Scanner S.M.A.R.T. Failure on "MUSTANGP51D". One or more disks are expected to fail within 24 hours:
  • ATA OCZ-VERTEX2 SCSI Disk Device
    • Model: OCZ-VERTEX2
    • Serial number: OCZ-EQEX8TP5BUIAHW19
    • Bay: 00

At this point I just don't know what the hell is going on.  I don't know why Scanner has suddenly started sending out hundreds of emails a day, and what is ACTUALLY going on with the drives.  The one thing I DID notice is that the parked count on the two drives increased about 150 in 2 hours.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

1 answer to this question

We're very sorry about the spam tsunami! 

Could you do a couple of things (as these may both help):

• Install the latest version of StableBit Scanner.  This may help both issues, but most likely, it will resolve the second issue:
    http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3128_BETA.exe
  • In the StableBit Scanner UI:
    Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
    Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. Find the "Scanner" section, and check the "noWmi" option. Click "Ok" to close and save the settings.

After that, open up the Scanner UI and "ignore" the SMART warning for the drive with the high Load Cycle Count.  

While this value can indicate mechanical wear, in general... if you're not seeing anything else, it can be safely ignored.