Harddisk failure and problems (with duplication?)

Roger79

Question

Hi! I lost a drive yesterday And so far I'm a bit anxious about what the outcome is going to be. The entire pool disappeared and after some reboots of my HDD enclosure I found the culprit for my problems; one of my Reds had lost its partition and it comes up as "raw" in diskmanager. I actually had to take the drive out of the enclosure and check it on my desktop computer to be able to communicate with the harddisk. I'm currently doing a recover of the files on this drive using EaseUS Data Recovery and hopefully I'll get the files back from this drive.

What surprised me is that when the drive failed while inside my pool, DP managed to delete a lot of files(propably duplicates, don't know yet) and my pool went from having approx 700GB of free space to 9,5TB. My total pool size including the broken disk is 44TB.

Does anyone have some thought on to why this happened?

Update: One of my movie folders has an error and DP can not access it or read it. This folder is on one of the Archive disks. This is the second time I have problems with my Archive disks. 

Roger J.

2 answers to this question

First, I'm sorry to hear about the problem disk.

As for the RAW drive, have you tried running CHKDSK on it?  In some cases, this can repair the drive and put it back into working order.    I've done this a few times, both for my own disks and for customers.   It's always worth a shot. 

As for deleting files, it shouldn't. Period.   However, if the files are no longer available, they simply won't show up on the pool.  

As for the access issue, try rebooting and see if that helps.  If it does, then I know what that problem is, and is fixed in beta builds.

Otherwise, it may be a good idea to manually run a CHKDSK pass on *all* of the disks, just in case. 

A little update!

Since the failure of the filesystem/partition on my RED, and disconnection of my Archive, DP has been running for 36h+ duplicating files. Now the pool is down to 3,5TB of free space and DP is still duplicating.

I used EaseUS Recovery Wizard to recover the RAW partition on my RED and backed up these files. The Archive disk seems to be OK after running chkdsk on it but I haven't put it back into the pool. The RED is removed from the pool, so as it is right now the pool is missing one disk.

I'm still wondering why I got so much free space after these two drives was disconnected.