Questions regarding the pooling mechanics

RPGWiZaRD

Question

Hi, I'm evaluating StableBit Drivepool in a possible Windows NAS build. 

There's two things I'm wondering about:

Is it possible to make sure StableBit Drive pool puts all files in a folder on the same disk/place. Let's take a pictures library for example with bunch of subfolders etc. I then in the future for some reason need to take off some drive and insert into another Windows PC, I don't want those files to be scattered all around other disks etc. So is it possible that Drive Pool can be told to store files by default in the same place and it would alert me if there's no space left to do the operation for the drive that has the "pictures" folder on it in this case.

How does mirroring works like with an USB drive that I'd only plug in manually occassionally to do mirror backups, does the program go nuts if the mirror disk isn't found or how does it work?

2 answers to this question

Unfortuantely, StableBit DrivePool's default strategy is to "spread everything out".

There is a balancer plugin that may help with this, but it does a "best effort", and doesn't guarantee placement:

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

The Ordered File Placement, balancer specifically.

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolBalancingPlugins/OrderedFilePlacement/Notes.txt

And this will fill up one disk at a time (or 2+ if you have duplication enabled).

Also, there is the file placement rules, if you want to micromanage things, and this will definitely try to ensure that the files are where they're "supposed to be".

OK thanks for the reply even though it wasn't quite what I had hoped for, seems like a too risky road for me to head. I just don't want to strain myself to a certain solution right now and it should be easy to change say in 1 year if I feel like so and I think with Stablebit it sounds a bit too uncertain with how the files are stored, basically I guess the pooling isn't my priority but get the ability to pair together drives for one big partition without the raid0/jbod unsafeness but have some control as to where/how files are stored on the array and gladly have some kind of backup built in (such as the data mirroring/duplication offered here, I've used 3rd party software for that in the past but having it built into one software would be a bonus)