Not working for new user

tbaker

Question

Just purchased DrivePool and Scanner.  DrivePool doesn't seem to be working for me.  I have a simple setup, 2 4TB disks, F: and G:.  F: has data, G: is empty.  I've added them both to a pool (DrivePool (I:)) and set them up for pool file duplication but nothing is duplicated.  In the file explorer G: has folders, PoolPart.69b1b0b9-ec3e-4d68-b763-091ae3cf340b and PoolPart.074c5ac1-95e9-4345-a513-e2f61a9e17a1 but no data.

In explorer DrivePool (I:) only shows the Recycle Bin.  Is this normal?

I had also created a second DrivePool and then removed it.  It seems gone from DrivePool but Explorer still shows DrivePool(J:) and it can't be deleted.

thanks,

-tom

4 answers to this question

Sounds like you had data on your f drive prior to creating your pool?

You have two poolpart folders because you have created two pools and it looks like you added the drives to both pools?

I would uninstall DP, remove the poolpart folders (first checking you have no data files within), reinstall DP.

Then move the data you have on F into the newly created poolpart directory - the files should then be visible in DP

Thank you.  I think I see my problem now.  I was planning on using folder duplication in which case I'd add the folder and then duplicate it.  When I read about pool replication and decided to use it, I forgot about adding the folders to the pool.

I should move the data to the F:\PoolPart... directory, not to DrivePool(I:) ?

If I move the data to the PoolPart dir it won't be accessible by F:/folder/file anymore but as I:\folder\file or F:\PoolPart\folder\file.  So, if I want the data to still be accessible with the old path I should change my drive letter first and then assign F: to the DrivePool?  Is this what most people do?

Why aren't the PoolPart directories removed when I remove the drives from a pool?

thanks,

Tom

OK.  I don't know what this is doing or why but it doesn't seem to be what I want.

I reinstalled and reconfigured.  J:\ (full of data) and G:\ (empty) added to pool (F:\) and set up for pool duplication.  Moved folders with 122GB of data into pool.  It started duplicating and everything seemed good.  Then after 58GB was duplicated it stopped with a duplication inconsistent warning and seemed to hang.   I tried to kick it off with a re-measure and then it started balancing and moving files.  Now I have unduplicated data on G:\.

So what, it moves data from J: to G: and now it will have to copy it back to duplicate?  Does this product really work?

thanks,

-tom

Any data outside of the "PoolPart" folders is considered "other" data and won't show up in the pool.

If you want this data in the pool, then yes, please do move it into the poolpart folders:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

As for the duplication inconsistent, it may be a permissions issue or a disk issue, or other. 

In this case, try running the StableBit Troubleshooter:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Use "3105" as the contact ID.

Also, it may help to upgrade to the latest beta, as there are a bunch of fixes and tweaks that may fix this issue outright:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.830_x64_BETA.exe