• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Any update on REFS?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

Anyone find out if the REFS driver still causes a Memleak?

#2 jmone

jmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

I'm not seeing any mem leak on Win 10 or Win Server 2012R2 Essentials

#3 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

It's very system specific.   I'm not seeing it on my system, and I have 20+ ReFS formatted drives.  

And I've not seen any indications in patches for a fix.  So it may be a while 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#4 thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

So update for all, it seems that the REFS driver uses a lot of memory when moving data onto a REFS drive.

I've tested it - and unless you're saying it's hardware specific (i.e. my specific ASUS motherboard or my mouse driver...), on a clean install of Win10 x64, with 96gb of DDR4 and a beta install of Drivepool.

When I move 3-4TB of data onto a REFS drive the mem usage climbs all the way up to 96gb.  It resets when I reboot.  And stays steady unless I start moving data to/from a REFS drive.

So those folks not seeing memleaks, I suspect it's because they're not moving terabytes of data back/forth from/to REFS drives.

#5 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

See, that's just the thing, I've moved TB of data around and didn't see massive memory usage.   And by TBs, I mean when I reformatted my entire pool, one/two disks at a time, moving +100TB of data around. And my server stays up for weeks, and I add a LOT of data, especially in batches. 

So, this doesn't appear to affect every system, which is why I said it's "system specific".  There are probably a bunch of factors that contribute to the issue, which is probably why Microsoft hasn't issued a hotfix/patch to fix this bug yet. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#6 jmone

jmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:37 PM

Same for me.  Reformatted my 50TB Win10 ReFS pool to V3.2 one drive at a time and moved the data around just fine.

#7 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:31 AM

Exactly.  And it's this type of system specific issue that is hard to troubleshoot.

And being on both ends of this, it's absolutely frustrating.   While I know I haven't experienced it, I know that you and others have. It's definitely an issue.  And ... there isn't anything we really can do about it. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#8 browned

browned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

From my works perspective (Windows 2016, Veeam, 90+TB, Moved to 64k ReFS format, Add 64GB Ram) MS has fixed the issue as long as you use 64k ReFS format, fit as much RAM as possible, and add a registry key or two.

https://support.micr...-and-windows-10

We are using Option 1 registry key only.

• jmone likes this

#9 jmone

jmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

For those with Mem Leak issues you may be interested in this Util I wrote - Info over here - https://yabb.jriver....c,112264.0.html

I've had issues on and off over the years with something eating memory till the "In Use" memory approaches Total Installed memory.... and I've noticed it starting again.  Tracking these down can be a PITA and while a reboot fixes it (temporarily) it can be inconvenient if you are doing something.  

I really should rebuild this PC and get off the Insider Previews but for now....Here is a very simple AutoHotKey script that I wrote awhile ago to test the memory when trying to track the leak.  One great side affect is that (for me) it actually also releases this lost memory.  All it does is increase a variables memory allocation and when the app closes the "In Use" memory is now greatly reduced.

Attached is the AHK Script and a compiled 64-Bit Version.

#10 jmone

jmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

From my works perspective (Windows 2016, Veeam, 90+TB, Moved to 64k ReFS format, Add 64GB Ram) MS has fixed the issue as long as you use 64k ReFS format, fit as much RAM as possible, and add a registry key or two.

https://support.micr...-and-windows-10

We are using Option 1 registry key only.

Thanks - I'll also give this a go.  I'm not running out of memory to the point that Windows halt just very heavy mem usage after a day

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#11 browned

browned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure that ReFS metadata is the problem, this does not show up in task manager as used memory. Look at the animated pink metadata map half way down this page https://forums.veeam...t40629-375.html  The MS registry settings relate flushing this data. Use rammap to get an idea of what is actually using your memory.

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users