Covecube Inc.
  • Announcements

• Christopher (Drashna)

Login issues   11/07/17

If you have issues with logging in, make sure you use your display name and not the "username" or email.  Or head here for more info.   http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3252-login-issues/  
    • Christopher (Drashna)

Getting Help   11/07/17

If you're experiencing problems with the software, the best way to get ahold of us is to head to https://stablebit.com/Contact, especially if this is a licensing issue.    Issues submitted there are checked first, and handled more aggressively. So, especially if the problem is urgent, please head over there first. 
rbutler81

Best way to encrypt all disks...

Question

Hi there, 

I'm trying to figure out the best way to encrypt all my drives that are part of my DrivePool.

Should I...

a -  use CloudDrive to encrypt each disk individually as a 'Local Disk' provider, then add each encrypted drive to the drive pool.

b -  add all the unencrypted drives to the drive pool, then encrypt the entire pool with CloudDrive as a 'Local Disk' and use the encrypted version of the pool

c - use some 3rd party encryption program to encrypt the drives, then add them to the drive pool

d - add all unencrypted drives to the pool, then use 3rd party encryption to encrypt the whole pool

If I encrypt a drive with CloudDrive using the 'Local Disk' provider, does this leverage the AES instructions in my processor? Or does it do the encryption in a software layer?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Are you using a Pro SKU (Windows 8 Pro, 8.1 Pro, Windows Pro), or a server OS?

The reason I ask, is that BitLocker is included in these OS's.  You can use these to encrypt the underlying disks, and still add them to a pool.

BitLocker works very well. Especially if you get a TPM module (if your board supports it) and encrypt the system drive.   I actually use this form my desktop, where I use DrivePool for "bulk storage" (games, downloads, Outlook PST files).

And this option is very seamless. 

Otherwise, there are utilities such as DiskCryptor, which works well.  Though requires you to disable the "Bypass file system filters" option.

And regardless of what you use, you will need to encrypt the underlying disks, and not the pool itself.

Yeah, I'm using Win10 Pro ... should have mentioned that.

I know about the Bitlocker / diskcryptor options... 

but what about the 'Local Disk' encryption options from within CloudDrive?

Is that something to consider? Does it use hardware encryption?

You could definitely use that.  But the other options may be better, IMO.

As for how the encryption works, yes, it should.  Specifically, we use the Microsoft CNG API, which will take advantage of the AES-NI CPU instructions.  You can read more about it here:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1269-full-drive-encryption/