DrivePool Beta: Pool hierarchies and PoolPart folders

jsbzoh6

Question

I'm using the latest beta (2.2.0.802) and I've discovered a bit of an issue when running pools of pools. My current structure is:

Pool A: 2x CloudDrives

Pool B: 21x Phyiscal Disks

Pool C: Pool A + Pool B

Because I have Pools of Pools, there are 2 PoolPart hidden folders, each consisting of what looks like 45 characters. So for both of these folders we're at 90 characters of the 255 size limit before we even start with any other files/folders. Most of my files are OK but I'm still running into many that are hitting this limit and causing all kinds of problems.

This is less of an issue and more of a discussion if this is a feature that will be released in the future. Do I have any options for reducing the size of the PoolPart folder names?

7 answers to this question

This isn't an issue.

StableBit DrivePool uses "UNC paths" when accessing the drives.  This has a 32k character limit for path length... 

This applies for both the pool driver and the service.   And it was designed this way, with long paths in mind.

That said, Explorer may have issues if you're accessing these folders directly, but this is due to an issue with the Win32 API, (and backwards compatibility, yay).

If you're running into issues, let me know exactly how your accessing the files, where the issues are popping up, and post logs:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

It's been exclusively Explorer but it's only been happening while moving files around during experimentation of the pool-ception. I had some weird issues so I had to move files from the cloud pool to the physical pool locally. I don't believe I've had any errors from the application itself.

Ah, that's what I thought. 

Windows 10 has a hack to support long file names.  It's possible that it may cause issues, but ... if you want to do this:

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/enable-long-file-name-support-windows-10

Otherwise, file managers such as Total Commander shouldn't have this issue, actually. 

Now that that's out of the way I'm having another issue. It appears most of my CloudDrive pool is "Unusable for duplication".

CloudDrive_Pool (200TB total)

--- CloudDrive_1

--- CloudDrive_2

Phyiscal_Pool (100TB total)

--- Disk_1

--- Disk_21

Pool_All: 300TB

--- CloudDrive_Pool

--- Phyiscal_Pool

Both the Physical and CloudDrive pools have no issues/errors and don't display any noticeable "Unusable for duplication" (75MB  on the CloudDrive_Pool, for example). When I add the CloudDrive pool, it becomes 175 TB "Unusable for duplication" on the Pool_All.

Ah, okay.  

The "unusable for duplication" space is completely normal in this case.

The two pools that you have are 200TB and ~25TB in free space.  That's a 175TB difference between the two disks.   And because you have only the two "disks" in this pool, and you can only add 25TB to the one drive... that's 175TB of data that could not be mirrored in this situation. 

If you enable duplication on the top level pool, it will duplicate that data over to the CloudDrive disk, and will reduce this (to closer to 100TB).   

But honestly, as long as you have a lot of free space on the local disk pool, you shouldn't need to worry about this.  Otherwise, shrinking the CloudDrive disks to 50TB each (so it's 100TB total) would also help fix the issue.