Pool measurment keeps resetting

DOS76

Question

I just started having issues with my WHS2011 build the other day after disconnecting everything dusting it all off and doing some much needed cable management but now that it looked good it stopped working go figure. So I decided to install WS2016E on there to give it a spin and it hasn't been the greatest experience so far my #1 issue is I can't get my pool to successfully balance it keeps randomly just resetting. One second it will be measuring nicely and the next it just starts over. I fear for my data and the only issue I can find in event viewer for disk is a reoccurring warning Event ID 153 (69 in the last hour). My setup is SSD for the system with 3x4TB internal drives 2x3TB and a 6TB WD Duo (The offending 153 disk) and an assortment of drives in 4x Mediasonic Probox's

Which beta version? 

Ideally, one of the builds close to this:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.802_x86_BETA.exe

(or this one, outright).

If that one has issues, then please enable drive tracing, and remeasure the pool.  Stop the tracing when it errors out, and then upload the logs:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Specifically, do this on the beta version linked above, because there is additional logging that happens that didn't in previous versions.   This may be useful to help pinpoint what exactly is going wrong. 

• Its now balancing. I noticed last night that I restarted the computer and when it came back up the pool held its measurements that is something it never used to do in my experience is that new in the betas.

Well, it is supposed to save the measuring state when rebooting.  Was always supposed to, I beleive.

So, that it's doing so, sounds like the beta is helping.

I have almost a TB of space unusable for duplication what is that?

Okay did a search and learned a little about the unusable

it's just what it sounds like. If you're using duplication, it's space that cannot be used for it.  Mostly due to the free space available on the different disks.

The "Duplication Space Optimizer" balancer is specifically designed to rebalance data to eliminate this "unusable for duplication" space on the pool.  Let it sit for a while, and it should clear it up.

Otherwise, if you're not using duplication, you can outright ignore it. 

Hey quick follow up my pool says it organized and the bar turned green but I have 4.84GB of unduplicated files on the pool. I don't think I have any files that I set not to duplicate so how can it be organized but still have unduplicated files on it. Is there anyway I can use DrivePool to find out what files are unduplicated?

Also when the pool organizes it says tht the file placement isn't optimal so I pick balance and it runs for a while only to report the same hing when its done.

You're still on 2.2.0.651, correct? 

If so, there isn't a way to check this, at least not easily.

That said, the issue itself is likely due to a measuring issue on that version.

If you could, upgrade to this version:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.802_x64_BETA.exe

And then remeasure (if it doesn't do so automatically).

Once that's done, if the issue has persisted, there is the "dpcmd" tool that can be used to identify the unduplicated data.

You can read more about that here:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1587-check-pool-fileparts/

Okay things have gotten a little weird the measurement is completely incorrect it says I have under a TB of other data when I know I have around 5TBs and the individual disk listings on the side reflect that when you hover on them and it shows the disk stats so the part listing the individual disk has the data amounts right the pool is way off its hasn't completed its balancing yet so I'm anxiously waiting to see what will happen. It also seems it balances a lot but never moves any of the data I have a drive with 37.9GB free but the pool never moves anything off of it. to be fair my HDDs are pretty full except for the new disk I just added so maybe that is why?