• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Best practices to shut down before rebooting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 toliman

toliman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Having a bit of a struggle with my PC at the moment with getting it to shut down cleanly and reboot,among other quirky issues that are getting a bit ridiculous.

I might have to move my clouddrive to a headless PC or VM in the future, but it's probably necessary just to stop having a recurring 200gb+ upload of cache after mount recovery every time the PC reboots (or crashes/halts) because the PC hasn't shutdown properly.

In general, should I detach drives before a shutdown, and would this prevent the recovery process having to re-upload the cache files (especially nasty when it's 100gb) ?

or, should i leave drives unmounted, or in a read-only state so they don't require reuploading of the cache ? what's the best practise here.

• Antoineki likes this

#2 srcrist

srcrist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Detaching the drives before a reboot will prevent the reindexing process, yes. Though, if you're not on the latest betas, I've noticed that the drives have been far better at recovering from an unclean shutdown than they used to be. 

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#3 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 7,976 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, please do grab this version and see if it helps:

http://dl.covecube.c...03_x64_BETA.exe

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users