Files in Use?

Todd S

Question

I am getting a Duplication warning about files in use.  However, I thought I had things setup on the folder in question to prevent duplication of the folder or any management of it.

I use CrashPlan and it seems while data is being written into the CrashPlan directory I get "File in Use" errors.  

I have duplication off for this folder, I have it set in File Placement for Crash Plan to only be on one drive, yet I get the error.  I also get the error on a System Volume Information folder which I would have thought DrivePool would ignore.

I also get a warning about data couldn't be moved because a suitable destination could not be found.  However, we are talking about the drive I have Crash Plan using, it has like 4TB available on it.

What am I missing here?  I don't want DrivePool to touch or manage the Crash Plan directory and I want data written directly to it.

BTW, I am using the SSD Optimizer plug-in but it seems looking at the disk performance area I only see Crash Plan going to the correct drive.

post-6759-0-66978900-1502341292_thumb.jpg

post-6759-0-59969700-1502341301_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Yes, stopping the application allows for duplication to proceed with no errors.  But the problem  is I have duplication turned off on the folder, I have a file placement rule so that only drive 7 gets CP data yet I can see it being written to on my SSD which is being used by the SSD Optimizer plug-in.  Why is that?  I believe that is the underlying issue, the plug-in is not following the rule.

post-6759-0-14944500-1502737789_thumb.jpg

On the main balancer settings, make sure that you've unchecked the "File placement rules respect real-time placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins" option.  

if you don't, the the files will be placed on the SSD drives, and then balanced off of the drive.  Unchecking this option means that they're placed on the drive specified by the rule regardless of the SSD Optimizer.

Alternatively, add the SSD drive(s) to the rule, and let it manage things from there.