How does disabling duplication work?

psudoplex

Question

Sorry for the rudimentary question but I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I have about 70TB of media that is all duplicated across 15 or so drives. This has worked beautifully for me for the last few years. The problem is I am getting to the point that duplicating all of this media is not really feasible (or needed) with my upcoming space constraints. I was thinking about blowing it all up and using unRAID but I think I have settled on continuing to use DrivePool along with SnapRAID. 

My question is what happens when I disable duplication on my media? Will the space become immediately available? If that is the case my plan would be to drop duplication, remove two 8TB drives, and then use them for dual parity with SnapRAID.

Also, what other relevant settings would I want DrivePool to utilize to work the best with SnapRAID? I figure that once the drives are balanced I'd want new data to be sent to a single drive until it is full as to not have the media changing much slowing down the parity computation.  

Any other thoughts?

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

My question is what happens when I disable duplication on my media? Will the space become immediately available? If that is the case my plan would be to drop duplication, remove two 8TB drives, and then use them for dual parity with SnapRAID.

When you unduplicate the drives, it sets the status of them, and then runs a duplication pass.

This goes through, checks all the files on the pool, and will manage them as needed.

This won't be instantaneous, but it *will* be quick.  Deleting files is always quick.  

As for what copy it will delete, that depends on your pool, the balancing settings, etc. it picks the best copy based on a bunch of these and other criteria and removes the "least valuable" copy, basically.

Also, what other relevant settings would I want DrivePool to utilize to work the best with SnapRAID? I figure that once the drives are balanced I'd want new data to be sent to a single drive until it is full as to not have the media changing much slowing down the parity computation.  

Install the Ordered File Placement Balancer plugin, then.  That does EXACTLY this, and you should be happy with it.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Also, no need to disable the other balancers here. This balancer will work fine with them, and the balancing won't affect SnapRAID, once it's completed.

When you unduplicate the drives, it sets the status of them, and then runs a duplication pass.

This goes through, checks all the files on the pool, and will manage them as needed.

This won't be instantaneous, but it *will* be quick.  Deleting files is always quick.  

As for what copy it will delete, that depends on your pool, the balancing settings, etc. it picks the best copy based on a bunch of these and other criteria and removes the "least valuable" copy, basically.

Install the Ordered File Placement Balancer plugin, then.  That does EXACTLY this, and you should be happy with it.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Also, no need to disable the other balancers here. This balancer will work fine with them, and the balancing won't affect SnapRAID, once it's completed.

So I did as suggested and disabled duplication. It seemed to run for a bit and got hung up on 1.7%. When looking at what it directory it was working on by hovering my mouse over my status bar it was chugging through a Plex meta data backup which was 500,000+ small files. I let it be and came back to it looking like it was complete. When I attempted to remeasure the data this is what it looks like...

What should I do at this point? I have attempted to remesure the data again, ensured duplication was disabled, along with attempting to use the "re-check duplication" option.

Thank you for your help!

post-7625-0-84078600-1502323200_thumb.png

Could you install the latest beta version on the system, and then remeasure?

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.798_x64_BETA.exe

There are a bunch of fixes and improvements that may help in this regards.   

If you still see issues on the new version, let me know.