Clouddrive upload issue

fazza

Question

Hello, I've noticed an odd issue on my Clouddrives, consisting of 4 1tb onedrive clouddrives pooled together using drivepool.

For some reason uploads simply do not happen unless I restrict the upload threads to a single drive (ie. untick the upload threads checkbox in performance for all except a single drive). Once I do this that drive completes it's uploads in a reasonable timeframe (couple of hours), after which I can move onto the next etc. If I leave all 4 drives with upload threads assigned, the amount of data to upload never seems to diminish (even after leaving it for 3-4 days). Bandwidth is definitely being used during this so clouddrive is uploading something.

This constant management of upload threads obviously makes managing the drives a far more manual process than it's designed to be. I wondered if there was a provider specific issue or perhaps something about my setup that may be causing this, or any logs that may shed light onto what is going on? Any insights?

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

Honestly, I have no idea.  Logs would be a good indication:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

That said, an educated guess would be that OneDrive doesn't like all the API calls coming from the same system and is throttling the requests.  

This would DEFINITELY cause the behavior that you've described, and would be why the fix you've implemented works as well as it does, too.

Sounds very likely! I've realised that this basically makes clouddrive unusable for me as it ties up the full upload bandwidth of my connection unless micromanaged :(

The troubleshooter is erroring out uniformatively on collecting the error logs ('A task was cancelled').

I can compress and send the contents of the C:/ProgramData/Stablebit Clouddrive since that seems to be what is collected anyway?

Unfortunately, yeah, it does sound that way.

I know that Alex wanted to implement some automatic thread settings, and that would probably help here.

As ... would using different providers (which isn't a great options).

As for the logs, yeah, that would work fine.  The Troubleshooter does that (and more), but I'm not sure why it's failing here.

Just let me know once you've uploaded it.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Logs

Yeah, it would be.  It would mean that there would be no reason to set the threads manually, as the software could manage this.  Increase the threads when there was more data to upload (or download) and back off if it's getting throttled or doesn't need as many threads.

The problem is, while this sounds simple and easy .... the simple and easy stuff tends to be some of the most complex code.  That's been a theme for all of our software, and ... kind of a running joke internally ("well, that should be simple! ... six months later", and the like).

So... while we do plan on implementing it in the future, we definitely have no ETA, and have no idea how difficult this will be until we start to implement it.

As for your system, I see a couple of issues.  I see some bugchecks (crashes) that may indicate memory issue (though may be other issues).

Additionally, I'm seeing some issues related to the Credentials manager, which is part of how we store provider info. As well as some other issues.

I'd really recommend running a memory test on the system, and then follow that up with "chkdsk c: /f" and "sfc /scannow" (both from an elevated/administrative command prompt).  

If that doesn't help, then let me know.

Thanks for the info on the thread feature - I can understand that this could well be a non-trivial thing to implement. 

As far as my system, I have run both the built in windows memory diagnostics and memtest86 both of which have turned up no errors. Chkdsk and sfc from admin cmd prompts also found no errors to fix. However - this is a crusty old workhorse install that's gone from 7 to 10 with various flavours of insider builds on it, so it'll be very cobwebby behind the scenes. Everything seems fine day to day (this issue aside), but I can well believe that the cruft may be causing weird problems. Some of the crashes may simply be due to me manually restarting the clouddrive service which it was not happy with.

I have been doing some testing though, and as soon as I add more than a single onedrive provider, the issue recurs so it does seem to be provider related. 3+ google / dropbox / box accounts in a similar configuration do not display this behaviour - it is only when 2 or more onedrives are added that the issue starts, and it is remarkably consistent. I've also set up clouddrive on a second pc to try and eliminate device specific issues and found identical behaviour. Both machines use the same (upload constrained) internet connection so that is the common factor.

Any thoughts are welcome, but I'm not really expecting a fix or workaround for this at this stage. I'm happy to leave Clouddrive alone for a few months at least until it's had a bit more time in the oven and some of these things have been worked out via the normal development process.

If that's the case, then it's OneDrive that is throttling you.  it's server side, and not really anything we can do about this, aside from cycling what drive gets the thread usage.....

I'm flagging this for Alex, but I'm not really sure what else we can do here.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27585

Also, could you try usuing this:

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.2.901_x64_BETA.exe

I"m having this same problem, although I'm only using one OneDrive account and one Local drive.  This started for me after I upgraded to v1.0.2963B.  I have the upload set to 2 upload threads, and upload throttling at 2mbs.  I've tried to adjust both of those values and it will upload for about 5 minutes, and then stop....this keeps repeating until the drive disconnects about once every three hours.  

```

CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 2,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:42Z    109016597306
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:43Z    109020380214
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:45Z    109029510789
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:46Z    109031292228
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:47Z    109035792580
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:48Z    109040484983
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:49Z    109044766113
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:51Z    109052462536
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting 1,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:36:52Z    109056948725
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:38:31Z    109442318346
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:39:50Z    109754901479
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:41:18Z    110098169606
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:41:52Z    110230103970
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:43:28Z    110606038215
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:43:53Z    110704547292
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:45:29Z    111081005709
CloudDrive.Service.exe    Warning    0    [ApiMicrosoftOneDriveBusiness] Server is throttling us, waiting recommended 120,000ms and retrying.    2017-11-30 22:47:02Z    111444612111

```

SBCD.PNG