Switching to Synology - How should I keep using CloudDrive?

Pancakes

Question

I am switching my main storage system to Synology (I really need parity..) however I have a 1TB OneDrive for Business volume mounted on my fileserver VM using CloudDrive

CloudDrive has worked perfectly for all 26 days of my trial, and I have not had a single problem. So I have no desire to stop using it, and will be purchasing a licence. However I am only getting my Synology in around 2 weeks time so I want to prepare for how it will work, and if I can keep using it how I want to

I currently have an ESXi server which has my FS01 VM. It has a 30GB vDisk and has an LSI HBA passed through to it. When I setup my CloudDrive, I just threw the cache onto one of my drives (Used in DrivePool), however when I get my synology the FS01 VM will no longer have any direct attach storage. It will only have the 30GB vDisk

1. Can I store the cache file on the NAS?

2. Can I store the cache file on my 30GB volume, and tell it to use NO MORE than lets say 2GB of space? 

3. How do I "move" the cache file while leaving everything else as is?

I have no data pinned, as its purely a backup 

3 answers to this question

1. No.  the cache has to be on a local, non-removable, non-dynamic drive.

2. Yes.  When mounting the drive, set the cache type to "Fixed".   You can then specify a size, and it will never exceed that.  However, keep in mind that a small size like this, you may/will run into performance issues, and a LOT of writes, as data will be moved in and out of the cache constantly.   The larger the cache is, the better.

3. You have to detach the drive to move the cache, period.   

However, the data on the drive will remain intact.   And it will quickly relearn... but with a small cache, it will likely not benefit from the learning, and will constantly be dumping everything in it to make room for the new data. 

Also, with a small cache, you may/will see performance issues, as there are limits where we start throttling to prevent the cache from running out of space.   With a 2GB cache (or really, anything under 10GB), you will likely run into this constantly.