HP P212 Raid card and Drivepool

Sam71

Question

Hi all,

I am considering using a HP server which I have had laying around! It has a raid card in it, is it ok to create a raid drive (Raid 0 or 1) and then use drivepool over the top?

Does drivepool/scanner just see it as a normal hard drive? It shows up as 'HP Logical Volume SCSI Device'

Or could it screw up?

cheers

6 answers to this question

Won't be an issue. I have 2 x P410 with 7 drives attached to each. Each drive has a RAID 0 array created on it and drivepool uses these for the pool. On the later P series cards (P44x) they have options for running in HBA or RAID mode.

Cool and thanks for the reply!

I think some of the old cards had HBA as well. Only reason I am considering running this way is I have a heap of HDDs spare and may as well use them.

I believe that you asked this in a ticket, as well.

There is no issue with doing so, as it it appears to be a physical disk to our software.

That said, depending on the exact hardware and configuration, you may have issues moving the drives to a new system.  This may be something that you want to test out prior to using the software.

And StableBit Scanner will not be able to get SMART data from these drives, as the software doesn't communicate directly with the the controller.

You're best off using an "HBA" card (non RAID), as these pass the disks to the OS directly without the need to create a RAID array of any kind. 

Yes I did ask in a Ticket, sorry for doubling up! Just thought I may get several opinions!

I actually have several crappy HBA (pci & pcie) cards, the reason for keeping the P212 in the server is it is has 4 ports as the actual server board is limited on slots - ML110 G6

I also have to add a dual PCIe dual nic as it will also run my pfSense firewall on a VM.  

In saying this I could probably take the P212 out as I do like the idea of being able to see the SMART Data

Yes I did ask in a Ticket, sorry for doubling up! Just thought I may get several opinions!

I actually have several crappy HBA (pci & pcie) cards, the reason for keeping the P212 in the server is it is has 4 ports as the actual server board is limited on slots - ML110 G6

I also have to add a dual PCIe dual nic as it will also run my pfSense firewall on a VM.  

In saying this I could probably take the P212 out as I do like the idea of being able to see the SMART Data

Not a problem for doubling up.  I just add that, more for reference than anything.  For our, yours and other's reference.

And these boxes aren't horrible.  But yeah, limited.

That said, a real LSI card may be a better long term solution.  Models like the LSI 9211 or 9240 or 9207 all support the same sort of SAS hookup, but are "HBA" cards, meaning they act as a simple controller. No RAID or anything.  And you can find these cards for pretty cheap (they're being phased out in favor of SAS3 stuff, so lots of used datacenter dumps, so cheap, good hardware).

I have one of these cards, and it works very well.

A single disk HP Raid 0 array can be moved to any system, it will have a 8mb raid information partition but the rest of the disk and data will be readable if it is in NTFS format.

Thanks for the information!

I know this is a crapshoot for many controllers, so I generally assume the worst, as it's safest.