Command line / Script Control Over CloudDrive?

ironhead65

Question

I feel like I'm not helping myself enough.  I'm not able to locate this, so maybe it doesn't exist...although the last few times I've looked and posted about various issues, Chris was able to point to some documentation...

Is there a way to control functions / features using command line for CloudDrive?

Specifically I want to be able to toggle the checkbox for the Upload Threads Count.

My thought is, until the Global Controls are added, when I know I have a HUGE dump of files, I can just toggle ALL Upload Threads to 0...well, unchecked.  Then, proceed to enable the drives one at a time.  I suppose if I could get the statistics of each drive, I could automate this.  Basically, check the drives status (how much left to upload).  Once that is 0, then enable the next drive.  That would be easy enough to do in script form.

Thanks!

24 answers to this question

There is no supported way to do this right now (it is possible, if you're smart/clever and a programmer, but no supported).

However, this has already been requested, and we do plan on adding it in the future. 

But right now, we are working on updating Stablebit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner before we consider adding new features to StableBit CloudDrive.

Regards

Chris,

I am smart - sometimes clever.  I am also a programmer...maybe not a great one, but I have my moments.

Any further hints on what you mean?  I'd be happy to accept that things are NOT supported and would refrain from bugging you if I hit issues.

At this time, I can only think of using something like a Macro program to simulate clicks in the GUI.  Are you maybe hinting that there are undocumented mechanisms in the cloud service executable I could use (or I guess abuse at this time)?

If you do not want to answer, I understand as... unsupported!

The UI doesn't really do much of anything aside from provide a UI...  It uses IPC to communicate with the service, which does everything.

However, this isn't really supported at all, and may cause issues if not don't completely correctly.

That said, we do plan on adding command line tools to StableBit CloudDrive in the future. But there is no ETA on that.

Otherwise, a Macro program would be the safest option. 

Sounds good.  That was the direction I took.

I have a macro program I wrote that now has a menu.

It has selections for going through and mirroring the Upload Threads Checkbox setting.

You can select to move back, forwards by 1 drive, or skip to the first, or to the last drive.

I added a toggle menu.  Using the database it creates I display ALL the drives UPLOAD status.  Then you can toggle the status in that menu.  Once you say OK, the macro goes through and pushed those settings to the CloudDrive software (which should now mirror the database)

I added enable all and Disable all.

The last thing I am adding is a Linear Upload selection. The idea behind that is to just start a the first drive. Enable Upload (if not already enabled), monitor the drive cache pie diagram for insignificant cache left (i.e. can't see any more light blue).  Once that happens, the macro moves to the second drive, rinse, repeat.  In a way, this gives me a base to then add a Round Robin, which would just disable the drive as it goes.

For now, I am leaving this like this as usually there is 10-20K of data remaining that needs to be pushed out of cache.  I have to wait for the "size or time" to run down.  Instead of changing those settings, I thought I would just finish all the drives to the point of insignificant cache left.  Once the last drive is finished, I can go back through and toggle them all back to off - except the last one.  This will ensure all drives have enough time to upload.  I think...

;-)

I realize this is a GOOFY macro, but it seems to give me what I want and man, I'm just ripping through my data now that I am either not being throttled or I've reduced the overhead by limiting to 1 drive upload at a time.

Thanks again for all your help!

thanks for the tip...but since the script is operating on the actual GUI objects, it just fails any time I RDP in and quite out.  I don't plan on needing this feature often...so I guess I'll just connect over VMWARE Console.  Not a big deal.  My guess is once the RDP is minimized or the session is closed, the GUI moves to another session...for some reason the script program doesn't move with it.

Chris,

Is there anything against my posting my code?  It seems to work now and I can toss some instructions around it.  Seems to work pretty well managing things for me.  It may not be bulletproof, but what do you expect from being written in a basement office?  :-)

I'm sure there are bugs or something, but my linear upload process seems to be working.  I tried it out a few times and the tool SEEMS to be able to manage working through everything I needed it to do.  There are some notes in the code for improvements that I need to add...but I'll get there when I get there.

I can post the script file or put the code into a code block in a forum post.  I'm not asking for $$ or anything and people can feel free to use the code.  I'm just trying to provide some assistance to others that like me, needed a way to keep the number of threads down (I mean I got over 3x the performance using this method!).

Chris,

Thanks, I'll fire that over ASAP.  I need to pull a clean copy from my CloudDrive machine.  I was editing it a while ago and added a feature that doesn't work at this time.

It's also VERY basic at this time, as in if your screen size does not match 1920x1080 the clicks are not in the right place, thus the macro won't work.

Chris,

I was messing around with this to ensure my cleanup didn't bugger anything up and I noticed that I have a drive that has 1.27GB of data to upload, but it never uploads.  I tried quite a few combinations of settings (of course enabling upload threads).  Is this something you have seen?  Or is this something I should start a new thread about?

Thanks!

No problem, it really did not bother me.  I just had a face-palm moment as my script ran through clicking the wrong things over and over.  It also brought up memories.  I did a similar thing macro/script clicking buttons on a program that could not be automated.  Used that to program boards in a factory.  Just to mess with me, the developer moved the buttons around by a nearly unnoticeable amount each revision of the software...just to mess with me.  Eventually when I caught on, he reverted the layout...

Anyway, the new version seems to have uploaded all my files without issue.  I'll get back to correcting the script and get that over to you once it bubbles back up to the top of my queue.

Thanks again!!

Chris,

I also believe I just figured out WHY I was hanging before.  Apparently if you download a single file too many times, Google Drive FORCES you to back off.  Since CloudDrive keeps asking for the same thing, it seems that the file is never let out of contention.  So, I do not think it was installing the beta that fixed me.  I think it was finally having the CloudDrive turned off long enough to allow it to continue.  Now, I am not going to just SAY it wasn't the beta, but I have some Google Drive accounts on here that are experiencing the SAME issue.

The message I get is: "the download quota for this file has been exceeded"

At any rate, I'm working through things.  Made some HUGE improvements to the script and am validating them now.  I wouldn't want to push a junky program out to you.  It already has enough caveats (no pre-fetching enabled, must be a 1920x1080 resolution).

Also, I just added 2 more cores to the Virtual Machine.  What a piggy...for now, this seems to have REALLY done the most to help any time-outs I was having (above and beyond the LINEAR Upload process).  I now rarely see the machine topped out at 100% CPU.  When there were only 2 cores assigned to the Virtual Machine, I would see it pegged at 100% most of the time.  Now, I get occasional spikes to 100%, but typically sits at 20-30% when uploading...which doesn't make a LOT of sense to me, as with 2 cores I would be pegged at 100%...i.e. 50% of the 4 cores?  Maybe I math bad...

Yeha, the "download quota" is a known issue, and one that we've worked around in the past.  But the latest beta versions have some additional handling that should significantly improve things and help prevent this from occurring.  And you can increase the "minimum download size" to help prevent this as well.

And as for the VMs, yeah, it's not linear.  

Chris,

I just updated to the latest beta...an UPLOAD ALL PAUSE feature!  I really slacked and did not send you my script!

This is going to make things so nice!  I'll add that into my script as the original way, I also validated settings of the performance window.

Using the new mechanism will be so much faster!  I check for color around the PAUSE button, if grey, paused, if white, not paused.  Loop.  So much easier than clicking buttons and looking around for a popup!  Now, if you have to move things, I only have to adjust 1 thing, VS every button location!  Same with color.  This might make this easy enough to just check the window size and calculate where the buttons are.  This would REALLY make this fancy!

This is great!