• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Encrypted container & upload question

Best Answer Christopher (Drashna) , 23 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, definitely simple.  And it works very well.

Though, if you really do want an encrypted container (a la truecrypt), then StableBit CloudDrive does still work for that, and well.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fazza

fazza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hi, just started to use Clouddrive and am trying to get used to what it's capable of. I have a couple of questions to check my usage of the product and it's capabilities. Any insight would be appreciated.

First, I have created a 4tb cloud drive spanning multiple (9) providers and pulled together with DrivePool to create a single large volume. On this pooled cloud drive just created, I notice there is over 1gb of data to be uploaded - I presume this is some form of metadata required by Clouddrive, and is expected behaviour? If so that's fine, but I was expecting an empty drive to not need any uploading - it may be worth flagging this behaviour for bandwidth constrained users like myself.

Next, I would like to create a local encrypted drive using drivepool and clouddrive together. There will be a dedicated drivepool on which the encrypted volume will go. Once the volume is created by clouddrive (using local storage provider option), can I then remove the drive letter from the pooled drive and use only the clouddrive created drive letter?

Thanks in advance.

• Antoineki likes this

#2 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 7,806 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

Yup, NTFS metadata, as well as partitioning information, folder structure and other "hidden assets" on the drives are likely being uploaded. 

You mean storing an encrypted "drive"/container on the pool, and using that? 

If so ... that's a bit redundant, to be blunt.  Each CloudDrive disk supports encryption (enabled at the time of creation).  And that should be more than sufficient.   Additionally, you can then enable bitlocker on each of the drives, as StableBit DrivePool supports that, as well. 

So, unless I'm missing something, you're essentially trying to add significant complexity to your setup, where it's not strictly needed. 

That said, I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that StableBit CloudDrive does want/need a drive letter for the local disk provider (and cache)

• fazza likes this

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#3 fazza

fazza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Ok thankyou for the info.

I'm clearly going about this wrong! What I'm trying to achieve with the second setup is a single large local encrypted volume, essentially. I'd like it to be larger than any of my physical disks. From what you've said I need to either:

1) Skip clouddrive and enable bitlocker on the drives to create a single encrypted volume within drivepool

2) Use clouddrive to create local encrypted containers and then pool those within drivepool

Would either of these produce the result I'm after? 

#4 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

The first option would be the best.   I actually use this on my desktop system, and it works very well.  

The pool itself isn't encrypted "technically", but the data is encrypted, when stored on the drives.  It accomplishes what you want, without needing to overcomplicate things. 

If it helps, if your motherboard supports a TPM module, you can buy and install that for cheap (they're usually around $20).  The reason for this is that it eliminates the need for a password or flash drive or anything, and the system is encrypted at rest.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#5 fazza

fazza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Way simpler than I thought. Guess I'll leave clouddrive for the actual cloud stuff.

Many thanks for the help.

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#6 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:52 PM   Best Answer

Yeah, definitely simple.  And it works very well.

Though, if you really do want an encrypted container (a la truecrypt), then StableBit CloudDrive does still work for that, and well.

• fazza likes this

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#7 ironhead65

ironhead65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 PM

I would agree with Chris.  With Clouddrive's ability to only upload changed sectors really makes this a good solution if you want a VeraCrypt container on the cloud.  I've tried this in the past with Google Drive's desktop app and Truecrypt.  I ended up re-uploading the file over and over...or so it seemed way back when I was trying this.  So, I gave up on that for a while (at least until CloudDrive showed up!).

Love this piece of software / middleware!  I've off loaded all my most precious files (pictures of the kids, and other unique files that I would never be able to get back if my house were to burn down).  It would be nice to mirror my entire DrivePool...but I can not see dumping THAT much data over my shoe-string internet connection.  Funny thing to me, I used to think I was fast....but then again, I can still recall the tones used on 300baud modems up to 14.4kbaud!  Then the digital bongs of 56K (I skipped 28.8kbaud).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users