Windows Insider Build 16232 - can not format ReFS

jmone

Question

Just a heads up - My PC upgraded to Windows Insider Build 16232 and I can no longer format HDD as ReFS (both in the GUI and in PowerShell - comes back as unsupported).  I've seen some posts saying there are issues with ReFS / Storage Spaces with 16232.  I'm trying to get 16241 to see if that works.

10 answers to this question

More oddities with the Insider build, if I take my NTFS drive from the PC with the insider build and just format it on another PC to ReFS then put it back, the Windows Insider Build PC still sees it as an NTFS partition.  If on the other PC I first remove the partition (leave it as RAW) then format as ReFS, when I put it back into the Insider build PC then it is seen as ReFS.

My .02 is that they are removing ReFS support for Home and Pro builds of Windows due to issues with OneDrive only working on NTFS drives.  As of build 16257 support still missing and I don't believe it will be back until ReFS has full support of NTFS features.

Looks like this was a prep for the "Windows 10 pro for Workstations" SKU ....

I'm not sure how I feel about this, as it ... it feels kind of scummy.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/10/16128072/microsoft-windows-10-pro-for-workstations-features

Specifically, it add s ReFS support,  SMB Direct, RDMA, and some other server features.   And it's upping the hardware limit (4 sockets, rather than 2, and 6TB of RAM, rather than 2TB).   So this is clearly aimed at high end users, that probably can't/don't want to get Enterprise. 

Yeah, if they come out and give a good upgrade price from Pro to Workstation of say $50 - I'd be ok with that.  Right now though I am seriously deciding if I want to switch my pool back to NTFS from ReFS until this is all sorted out and support is more defined.   Would be painful but I think we are still a year or more away from serious ReFS support including full support within DrivePool and other applications.

LOL.

Sorry, not likely. given some of the features, I expect the retail to be closer to $300-400... which means an upgrade would likely be $100+.  Which sucks.  But it's designed for high end workstations.  These guys doing video rendering and the like... rather than having to offload to a "server farm", have all of that done locally. 

And other, similar stuff.  Not for "average users" like "us".   

As for switching back to NTFS, well, keep in mind that ReFS will still work on Fall Creator's Update. You just won't be (easily) able to format as ReFS.   

As for ready, give it another 6 months, and I suspect that ReFS will have a majority of the bugs worked out.  That's just a guess though.