• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Pulled healthy drive in one set-up--SMART warning in new one

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zeus163

zeus163

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

I replaced some drives in my server with larger ones. All three of the old drives that were being replaced showed as healthy in Stablebit Scanner. I put two of them in another machine and when I restarted, Stablebit Scanner came up with, "The on-disk S.M.A.R.T. check is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, some well known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing." Apparently, the error is for reallocated sectors.

I'm just curious why this would be considered healthy in one machine and not on this one? All I did was unplug it and walk it upstairs. I know hard drives can be delicate beasts, but I'm just curious.

• KiaraEvirm likes this

#2 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 7,806 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

More than likely, you probably ignored it on the old system.  So it wasn't showing up anymore.  But since you placed the disk in a new system, it's no longer being ignored, and shows up.

Otherwise, it's entirely possible that the reallocated sectors developed as a result of the move (highly unlikely though). 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#3 zeus163

zeus163

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

Interesting. All drives except one were reported as healthy. The one that wasn't was a 3TB drive that I had removed from the Drivepool previously so that I wouldn't lose any files. I had also removed these from the Drivepool as well, but in Scanner the three 2TB drives all showed as healthy. You mention possibly ignoring it. So, was the healthy notice a false positive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users