Covecube Inc.
  • Announcements

• Christopher (Drashna)

Login issues   11/07/17

If you have issues with logging in, make sure you use your display name and not the "username" or email.  Or head here for more info.   http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3252-login-issues/  
    • Christopher (Drashna)

Getting Help   11/07/17

If you're experiencing problems with the software, the best way to get ahold of us is to head to https://stablebit.com/Contact, especially if this is a licensing issue.    Issues submitted there are checked first, and handled more aggressively. So, especially if the problem is urgent, please head over there first. 
photoguy

Remote Access

Question

If I build a Windows 10 Professional Server and it is connected to my Wifi network, what software or hardware do I need to add in order to access the files stored on the server from outside my home?  And what do I need in order to upload or download to/from the server.  I am a photographer and want to be able to access photos and to upload photos from a variety of locations if I can get on the internet.

4 answers to this question

Well, there are bunch of ways to do this.

The simplest may be to use: 

• SeaFile, and set that up. 
  • SFTP or FTPS

That said, a simpler method may be to use Windows Server 2016 Essentials, as it does have a remote access website designed for uploading and downloading files.   (though it's hosted on your internet connection). 

Otherwise, it gets more complicated. 

If you're using a laptop "outside", then you could set up OpenVPN on your server (or if you have a decent router, on that).  Connect to the VPN and you can work as if you're at home.

I do this from work - I have OpenVPN running on my Asus router, and connect in.  I can access everything across the VPN.  As the VPN data is compressed, it's pretty quick.

What do I need to set up the OpenVPN on my Asus router?  Software? Or is it built in the Asus router?

That depends on the router. 

If it has a "L2TP" option built in (not "pass through"), then you could configure this, as well.