Possibly incorrect SMART warning reading

AllMyData

Question

I have a disk that has a SMART warning within Scanner. It appears to have a Spin Retry Count of 65536, however the manufacturers software (HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test) states I have a Spin Retry Count if 95, this is after both a short test and an extended test. I'm more inclined to believe the manufacturers data, but clearly this disagrees with Scanner.

7 answers to this question

What version of StableBit Scanner are you using?

Also, could you click the 'Submit to BitFlock" option in the SMART details, and post the ID here (or at https://stablebit.com/Contact),so we can take a look.

And in general, the manufacturer tools are going to be more accurate.  This is because many manufacturers obfuscate or modify the SMART data in some way, requiring "interpretation" of that data to get the "real" values.  We have a list of rules for this, but this is every changing, as new drives get released, new firmwares get rolled out, etc. 

This is a fresh installation of Windows 10, so the very latest beta as of yesterday. Yeah I guessed the manufacturers software would be the more accurate one... I have already clicked "Submit to BitFlock" and have asked Scanner to ignore that particular warning unless it worsens. If there is a way I can either retrieve an existing submitted ID or reset teh warning to trigger it again I shall, if you can provide instructions.

Specifically is it 2.5.2.3103 (public beta), or 2.5.2.3126 (internal beta)?

THe first is posted on the main download site, the other is only accessible with a "direct" link. 

And if you've already submitted to bitflock, the ID show up when you re-open the SMART details. 

Otherwise, you can re-submit any time.  It may take a minute or two for it to generate the ID (leave the window open until it does). 

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=S.M.A.R.T.%20(Self-Monitoring,%20Analysis,%20and%20Reporting%20Technology)%20details

Alternatively, you can always head to bitflock.com, run the stand alone utility and report that ID. 

v. 2.5.2.3103

I have unignored the SMART warning and there is now no smart warning being triggered at all. If it returns I shall be sure to make a post for you to investigate, unless there is a way to view a log of IDS already submitted to BitFlock?

You mentioned that this is an HGST drive that is exhibiting this issue, correct?

If so, I'm not seeing it reported in the BitFlock info. All the drive show up "fine".

And if that is the case, then do this: 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section. Find the "Smart" section and select "noWmi". And hit "Ok".
Once you've made any changes, you will need to restart the service, or restart the computer. To restart the service, run "services.msc" on the system find the "StableBit Scanner Service" and restart it.

Once you've done this, it may correct the issue that you're seeing.  If not, let me know.