Drive Temp Behind Dell Perc

nagetech

Question

Howdy!

Recently purchased the software and am loving it so far.

One issue though, I have several drives behind a Dell Perc H700 Controller, and Scanner doesn't seem to pickup the temperature or the SMART for the drives.

Is there a setting somewhere I have missed?

Thanks ahead of time and thanks for the awesome software!

3 answers to this question

That depends on a number of factors.

Are you creating JBOD or arrays to present to the OS?  If so, then StableBit Scanner won't be able to pull the SMART data (or temps) from the drive.

However, if the controller is working in "IT" mode (passing the disks directly to the system), then you may need to enable "unsafe direct IO" to get the SMART data. 

To do so, 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section.Find the "DirectIo" section, and check the 'Unsafe" option.  Hit "Ok" .
Once you've made any changes, you will need to restart the service, or restart the computer. To restart the service, run "services.msc" on the system find the "StableBit Scanner Service" and restart it.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately it is in RAID 0 mode aka each drive is stand alone but it's own individual RAID0 config.

Bummer, I was hoping to move away / get rid of HDD Sentinel.

Do you think this will be something that is supported in a future version/ I did install the latest beta in hopes that maybe it auto-magically fixed it but no dice :)

Ah, yeah,.... then yeah, it's not going to grab the SMART data. :(

As for adding the ability to do so, this is something that has been highly requested, and something that we may do in the future. However, it is a significant change to the software, and not a "simple" change.  So it may be a while before we're able to do so.