Huge folder decided to unduplicated

Pancakes

Question

Excuse the title typo!

My TV Shows folder which is around 6TB just decided to switch itself from 2x to 1x.

I noticed when I saw that I had over 12TB free space, and panicked that I lost a bunch of data somewhere. After looking into DrivePool, it was balancing. I waited for it to finish and it said everything was good. Checked duplication, and it was set to x1

Now I am duplicating the data again, but if I didn't notice and list a drive, I would have been toast

Any idea why it would do this?

5 answers to this question

By chance, are you using Windows 7, Windows Server 2008R2, or Windows Home Server 2011? 

If so, then this is a known issue (that happens EXTREMELY rarely), and has been fixed in beta versions. 

Please download this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.754_x64_BETA.exe

There isn't any specific changes to the code that change the behavior after the build your on, so no, upgrading won't help. 

That said, are you using ReFS? 

If you have StableBit Scanner installed, do any of the drives have any issues? 

And you definitely verified that the duplication was (incorrectly) set to x1 rather than x2?

Nope I am using NTFS, I have StableBit Scanner installed, and the drives all show as good

I did have two drives show as having filesystem damage around a month ago, but I followed some advice on here and moved to a later BETA of scanner which fixed the issue, one still showed as having filesystem damage, but a quick checkdisk fixed it

I am 100% that duplication was set to X1 vs X2 which it should have been

If its helps, the folder used to be a root folder with X2, and then got moved inside a child folder which also had X2 (Probably a year ogo) but I never had any problems

When I went in to check after noticing the problem, it was on blue with X1, so I set it to X2, but its still blue. It used to be Green with X2

ww8NLT1.png