File Duplication not working. Pool condition at 50%

WHS_Owner

Question

Hi,

I'm trying out the trial on my new WHS 2011 install and it doesn't seem to me that the file duplication is working.

I have duplication enable on the folders I wold like to duplicate. The drive pool is at 50% with a waening that once clicked, gives me the option to "duplicate now". Over the past 2 days I've clicked this numerous times at various intervals and nothing changes. It's always says that my pool is 2.07 TB and Duplication is 129GB, that has never changed.

This was an upgrade from WHS V1 and I followed the guide on how to upgrade, so actually the files are duplicated over 2 HDD's, but I just need DrivePool to recognize this.

What do I do? Thanks for the help.

11 answers to this question

Could you get the logs from DrivePool?

Don't "Enable tracing", just grab the files:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

But upload them to the Box.com widget on the bottom of that page, or attach them to a ticket at

Also, try running the WSS Troubleshooter and using the "Reset NTFS Permissions on the pool" option. It could be that one or more of the permission entries left over from WHSv1 is causing issues.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

It looks like the reason it's taking so long, and being so slow, is that it's running a lot of "duplication tasks". 

Namely, it's finding a lot of files that it expects to be duplicated and aren't, and a lot of files that are duplicated and it expects them not to be.

Double check that you have everything that you want duplicated, well duplication enabled for. And what you don't want duplicated, disabled)

I'm flagging this thread for Alex, so he can take a look as well.

That I can definitely understand.

Just double check the duplication status on the folders, and make sure they are how you want.

Also, a lot of the errors were "awaiting user input" on how to resolve the issues. So double check that DrivePool doesn't have any prompts for you in it's tab.

ok, the duplication on the folder is set up as I want (always has been!!).

If I click the drivepool tab on the whs dashboard the only "prompt" is the warning next to the pool condition (still 50%). When I click that I had the option to have it delete some files that were a problem so I ticked the box and now it says duplicating.

This is the first time it's done that so will see what happenes. Thanks for the help.

Okay, I'm glad to hear that everything has "settled" down/in.  

But yeah, when you first move over from Drive Extender, it take a bit before everything acclimates.

And now that it has, I would recommend taking a look at the balancer settings. You get a good amount of control over the file placement, and there are some additional ones that give you a lot more control over them:

http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

ANd I'm glad that you like the software enough to purchase it. That's what we like to hear. :)

And if you have any other issues or any questions about DrivePool or Scanner, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards