WHS 2011 Dashboard Memory Issue

dreamland95

Question

Hi Christopher,

So, after my controller card problems, I decided to load Stablebit Scanner 2.5.2.3103 Beta. I started a scan of all the drives and was monitoring it in the Dashboard. After a while, the Dashboard froze. I found on your wiki about a Dashboard freeze and ran the commands to create the Dump. The Dashboard became unfrozen and then closed. When I started it again, I received an error box stating that Drivepool had caused a problem with the Add-Ins and if I wanted to disable it. I just clicked on it and then Continue and it came back up. So, that was a little troubling, as I want Drivepool running more than Scanner. This happens whenever I open the Dashboard now.

After all that happened, I kept Dashboard open and when I would click on the Scanner tab, I noticed the memory usage of the Dashboard (in task manager) start to go up consistently, when I switched to one of the other tabs, the memory would go down or stay stable. I'll see what happens when it's done with the disk scans. 

Any reason you can think of for the memory increase? 

I can upload the dump file if you would like. Do you have a link for the upload? The one on the wiki seems to be for version 1 or 2 of Drivepool.

One more thing I noticed as it's scanning the drives. I have one drive that's "Waiting to scan (temperature equalization)". What does this mean?

Thanks again,

Dave

3 answers to this question

You can always submit files here:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_2.X_Submit_Files

For the process dumps, you may want to compress them before uploading, as they are generally highly compressible. 

And chances are, that this is a rendering issue and with the dashboard (which is known to be a massive memory hog). 

And it may be worth seeing if the latest beta has this issue, as well: 

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWhs2/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3125_BETA.wssx

As for the "waiting to scan (temperature equalization)" means that some of the drives are more than 3C apart in temperature.  This happens to avoid creating pockets of hot air in your case.  
If you want, you can set this.

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Heat

Hi Drashna,

I loaded the new beta you gave me and the memory leak seems to have stopped. When I start the dashboard, I still get the an error box stating that Drivepool had caused a problem with the Add-Ins and if I wanted to disable it. I just clicked on it and then Continue and it continues to the dashboard. I've noticed that this will stop me from loading the dashboard on another computer. I know it's really not that big of a deal as I can remote desktop to the server. I'm running Drive pool version 1.3.6.7585. I did try loading 2.1.1.561 and had the drives from my external drive bay show up twice. One as missing and one as normal, so I unloaded it and installed the 1.3.6.7585 add-in as I wasn't sure what was happening. 

Thanks.

Well, I'm glad to hear t hat one of the issues was fixed!

As for the 2.X version, this happens sometimes with the release version. Resetting the settings usually fixes this issue, though. 

As for the dashboard, it shouldn't stop you from loading it on a different system. It should still work just fine.  But closing the dashboard may help with this.  Otherwise, logging in and then using the task manager to close all of the user sessions may help, as well.