Drive temperature not updating.

bzz

Question

Hello,

I'm using scanner v2.5.1.3062 on Windows Server 2012r2 and I don't appear to have up to date temperature for my drives.  If I view the SMART Details screen for a drive, the last temperature sample will be anywhere from 2 to 15 hours old.  The slider where you can adjust what is displayed in the temperature graph is all the way to the right and samples are set to be taken every minute.  The temperature displayed in the main scanner window matches the last sample but also does not appear to be up to date.  What caused me to notice this is that running a surface scan on the drive caused no temperature change but I would have expected it to increase after 30+ minutes of scanning.  Are there any settings I should check to resolve this?  Will scanner throttle the scan if the current drive temp exceeds the max even if the UI does not indicate the current temp?

Thanks!

EDIT:  Stopping & restarting the StableBit Scanner Service appears to cause a refresh in the UI.  After restarting the service I can see temperature readings were taken once per minute.  However, they do not update in the Smart Details UI until the service is restarted.  Closing & reopening the Scanner UI alone does cause the new temperature data to be displayed.

7 answers to this question

I typically keep the SMART throttle to 720 minutes otherwise it wakes my drives frequently, even with the "Do not query if the disk has spun down" option selected,  I did turn off the Smart throttling while formatting & scanning some new drives but the UI still does not update the temperatures.  As I mentioned, restarting the Stablebit Scanner Service does allow the UI show new temp data so I would assume it's being captured in the background.

Setting the SMART queries to be throttled like that (720 minutes) means that the temperature (a SMART value) is only going to be updated every 12 hours.  

If you uncheck the throttling option here, you'll see it updated much more rapidly. And setting it to something like "60 minutes" (1 hour) should see it update less frequently, but will be updated more often, and may get a more accurate reading. 

I understand that this would update only 12 hours.  As I mentioned, I did turn off the Smart throttling while formatting & scanning some new drives but the UI still does not update the temperatures.  Restarting the Stablebit Scanner Service does allow the UI show new temp data so I would assume it's being captured in the background.

Any thoughts on why the UI wouldn't display the updated temp info unless the service is restarted?  Is the temp info being captured every minute real info or is Scanner making that up to fill in the gaps?

I really wish the "Only query during the work window or if scanning" and "Do not query if the disk has spun down" options worked so I could query smart data more often.

The temperature should be updated, when the SMART data is updated.  
And I've watched the temperature increase while a drive was being used or scanned.

That said, could you try the latest beta version, as there are some changes that may affect what you're seeing. 

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3124_BETA.exe

As for the "only query" option, you can set the work window on the "General" tab, and that should control when the SMART queries occur. 

As for the "do not query if the disk is spun down", that's a bit more complicated. This applies mostly to if you manually spin down the drive in StableBit Scanner.  Otherwise, we don't really know if the drive is spun down or not.  Windows doesn't pass this information along in a "safe" manner... and the simple act of querying the drive wakes it up. 

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/48-questions-regarding-hard-drive-spindownstandby/

Thank you for the reply.  I misunderstood what the "work window" was and suspect this was causing most of my problems.  I'll test again when I have a moment but suspect this will resolve my issue. 

The "do not query if the disk is spun down" is a tricky one for sure.  I have 24 HDD's attached & the data on most doesn't get accessed more than once or twice a week.  For me, keeping these drives in standby vs. spinning 24x7 saves a noticeable amount of electricity.  Would an option to only query SMART stats when the disk is transferring data be a method to accomplish this?  It appears Scanner is already able to monitor the data transfer on an active disk while not waking disks in standby.

Thanks again, you guys are always super helpful!

PS - Is there anywhere I can see the date & time of the last smart query?

Yeah, power management is a really, really tricky thing. 

Unforutnately, there really isn't a good way to manage this.  Throttling the queries means that the SMART data is not updated as frequently, but will keep the drives idle/spun down "better".

Setting it to 45 minutes or so, should get updates frequently enough, but allow the disks to spin down while not in use.

It may also help to change the idle timeout in Windows Power Management, to get the disks to idle more aggressively. 

As for the latest SMART query, no, there really isn't a way to do so, right now.  It's something that we could add, though. 

Though, it may not be a bad idea to add that and a "manually update" option when throttling is enabled. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27431