Drive Constantly Goes Missing

dreamland95

Question

Hi,

I'm running Windows Home Server 2011 and had a drive go bad. I didn't have any type of monitor plug-in, so I wasn't aware of it ahead of time. Not knowing what was wrong, I rebooted the server and it hung up on accessing the bad drive. I shut down the server, pulled the drive and brought the server back up. I replaced the drive and now when it's running a client backup, the drive I replaced will go missing and I have to reboot for it to be found in the pool again. I've removed the drive when there was no problem detected to see if it could clean itself up. That doesn't seem to have helped. Also, the warning for the scheduled cleanup task keeps showing up.

Any help on debugging and fixing this problem would be much appreciated.

Running Drivepool 1.3.785 Add-in

Thanks. 

9 answers to this question

Is the missing disk issue still occurring? 

If so, it may be worth installing StableBit Scanner, activating the trial period and checking the status of the drive, and running the 'Burst test" (right click on the drive).   

As for the cleanup task, this runs automatically every sunday.

That said, did you duplicate the Client Backup database? 

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for responding. I'll install Stablebit Scanner and run the burst test.

Ok, I installed Stablebit Scanner. Is it supposed to cycle through all the drives every second or so. I keep seeing the lights flashing in a cyclic pattern.

I have the Computer Backups folder duplicated. I'm not sure about the Client Backup database. How can I check if it's been duplicated? Are you thinking of restoring from the backup?

Thanks.

For StableBit Scanner, no, it doesn't cycle through all of the drives.  However, it does query all of the drives for SMART data, and that DOES generate disk activity.   This happens frequently, and can cause the behavior you're seeing. 

If you want to reduce that, click on "Settings" -> "Scanner Settings", and then open the "SMART" tab. Check the "throttle queries" option. It defaults to 60 minutes, so it should only do this once per hour.  You can increase or decrease this value as you see fit, and it should help reign in this behavior. 

As for the Computer Backups, that's the same as the Client Backup Database. There are a few different names for it, depending on where you look... So I apologize for the confusion.  

As for checking to see if it's duplicated, if you're using the 1.3 version, then check the dashboard.  You want this duplicated, mainly because if even one file is missing, it can corrupt the entire database (since it uses "deduplication" heavily, so one missing file could affect every backup). 

So the suggestion is more to protect this, in case you weren't aware of how the feature works. 

Hi Christopher,

So, the problem ended up being the Sata controller card I had installed to add 4 more drives using a drive cage. I ended up replacing the drive cage first thinking the backplane of the cage had gone bad. When the problems continued, I then thought it might be the card. I ended up removing the drives from the pool and then removed the card and everything is working well. 

Thanks for your help.

Do you or others have any recommendations for a good SATA controller card? This is just a "home" built server. I'm also thinking for future expansion to keep everything as is and just go with larger drives to replace any of the 2TB drives that go bad in the future.