Feature request: Redundancy mode.

chcguy88

Question

I was thinking about how this product could be better and I came up with an idea. Google drive allows for copies to be made of individual files. Could it be possible to implement a redundancy mode for people who have unlimited storage with drive using the chunk system? In other words, upload file, once uploaded the file would be put into 2 locations on drive (via chunks). The nice thing about this idea is that it would allow for incremental backups if the main drive would fail at any point. The secondary copy would be a rolling copy. So lets say the user specifies that every 2 days, the rolling backup would be updated to the most recent version of the drive. Stablebit would keep track of changes between the 2 and proceed to update the secondary copy. The benefit of this also would be to take out the issue of losing the whole drive if something goes wrong. If something does happen, recopy the chunks from the previous 2nd backup. No reupload would be necessary with this system as google drive would be doing the copying of the chunks. (if the api allows for this).

I have noticed the main issues with this software is if something does go wrong, the whole thing is normally messed up = lose of data. With this system it allows for redundancy without too much overhead to accomplish this. 

Please let me know if this can be implimented. It would really set peoples mind at ease as they wouldn't lose an entire drive just because of a bad day/ bad upload.

I have attached an image outlining the idea. 

post-2816-0-64810800-1489920418_thumb.jpg

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet