This drive was created with a pre-elease version of Stablebit CloudDrive

AJP

Question

12 answers to this question

Would it be possible to have a conversion utility? That yellow banner is really going to mess with my OCD.  :huh:

Could you please explain the differences between the pre-release and release versions (in regards to this alert). I'd like to make an informed decision. I understand it's not necessary, but desire and necessity aren't always the same.

Would it be possible to have a conversion utility? That yellow banner is really going to mess with my OCD.  :huh:

Could you please explain the differences between the pre-release and release versions (in regards to this alert). I'd like to make an informed decision. I understand it's not necessary, but desire and necessity aren't always the same.

A conversion utility would essentially just download all the data, and then re-upload it to an essentially "new" drive anyways.   But there are a bunch of potential issues with automating this.  

The simplest solution is to create a new drive, mount both, move the data over and then destroy the old drive. 

No tools needed, and ensures data integrity is maintained. 

Any existing cloud drives that were created prior to the 1.0 RC will show a “pre-release” banner.

Although the RC is fully backwards compatible with all of the previous BETAs, the back-end functionality may have changed since, and those pre-release drives may not be utilizing the most optimal code paths. For example, there may be newer validation algorithms available, better data organization patterns, or simply that the default settings for new drives may have changed.

http://blog.covecube.com/2017/03/stablebit-clouddrive-1-0-0-854-rc/

The "TL;DR" of this, is that there are a lot of changes to the beta version drives.  Older drives may have issues that cannot be corrected without creating a new drive (the "100MB chunk" google drive is one such example of this). 

If the drives are created with a recent version, then this isn't really necessary, and you should be fine. 

As for the OCD, that ... I can completely understand.  I believe I've already added a request to toggle this off for those fine with the "at your own risk" behavior. 

Based on that description, I feel like I should be using the new format. While inconvenient, I will reupload to a new drive in order to make use of newer algorithms, etc. I'll probably wait until post-release before doing so in case any further changes crop up.

Being that I'm using a pre-release version, I accept that there is no conversion utility. Post-release, I hope that we aren't running into this situation though.

All that said, I hope you can offer some advice on migrating data from one drive to another. I have my CloudDrive mounted as a disk in my DrivePool. The pool has 2 local disks and 1 cloud, and is set to keep 3 copies of each file. This has worked well for creating both a local and remote mirror of my data.

What is the best way to migrate this data to a new drive without breaking the pool or taking it offline?

I hope you can offer some advice on migrating data from one drive to another. I have my CloudDrive mounted as a disk in my DrivePool. The pool has 2 local disks and 1 cloud, and is set to keep 3 copies of each file. This has worked well for creating both a local and remote mirror of my data.

What is the best way to migrate this data to a new drive without breaking the pool or taking it offline?

I just wanted to bump this question since I'm still looking for an answer.

I tried creating a second CloudDrive, added it to the pool and set DrivePool to keep 4 copies of each file. Unfortunately, shortly afterwards I experienced a physical drive failure and all sorts of problems ensued. During all this, the new drive was somehow corrupted and could not be repaired by chkdsk. Eventually, I just gave up and deleted it.

My system is now back to being healthy, but I still have the pre-release CloudDrive which I would like to move to a new CloudDrive. Is there a better way to move everything over?

Sorry, I missed this question. 

The best way to mgirate the data.... create a new drive, add it to the pool, remove the other drive from the pool (ideally, use the "Disk usage Limiter" balancer and uncheck both options for it, so that it balances the data off of this drive). 

Once it's completed, destroy the old drive, and remove it from the pool.  That way, everything is handled invisibly to whatever is accessing the data. 

And again, there isn't a problem with using the Pre-release drives. For the most part, you should be fine.